No announcement yet.

Engine oil flush technique?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The two biggest issues with cold-weather lubrication are slow flowing on startup and not boiling off volatile contaminants, right?
    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Pretty much, yeah. And the slow-flowing on startup is pretty well taken care of by synthetic oils--they flow better at low temperatures than petroleum-based oils do.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
      1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
      But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post

torquelover: a 160 is fine, my boat runs a 143 tstat and they're extremely clean inside. Having none at all or one thats stuck open is a bad thing.
        Yeah, it was fine for several years. When I resurrected the car in '03 to use as a daily driver, I swapped in a thermostat in the 190's. Heat is good when you live less than a mile from the Southern tip of Lake Michigan. With the 160* the heater never got hot, just warm. The car gets pretty toasty now.

Comment

i use some trans fluid in the oil a couple hundred miles before oil change. when i do my own oil changes, i have 1 or 2 cheap qts. of oil to pour thru. i drive the car, drain the oil, than put plugs back in and dump cheap oil in... let it settle and flush crap out and let it get out of pan. than replug and add Valvoline like i always have...10w40 or the Valvoline high mileage every other or so to help clean it better.
          Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
            Interesting! That's the opposite of what's advised by Greg and the other Nate and other guys running 5W30 full synthetic.

Remind me what the higher zinc content does?
            For a new engine, zinc is crucial at break in as it increases the lubricity of the oil, as well as adding a "cushion" type of effect; almost like lead in the old gasoline. Most diesel oils have a higher zinc content, but as of last year, manufacturers are diminishing some of the content.

For engine that are older, the main objective of it is to prolong the life of the engine by diminishing wear.

I actually emailed John Deere about the product and asked them about the zinc content, as well as other characteristics of the oil. They were reluctant to elaborate much, but they did tell me that their product has a higher level of zinc. Whoever responded to me was curious as to why I was interested, and also noted that he couldn't say much aelse as it was "proprietary information". I was happy with what I learned though.

Michael, if you are really interested in oil tech, etc, I encourage you to read the article from the URL. My auto machinist gave it to me to read. You may find it interesting, and it may include some more complete answers to the questions you have about zinc, and oil in general.

This is the link for the oil we use: http://www.deere.com/en_US/parts/par...s50_15w40.html
            **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
            **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
            **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
            **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

VERY interesting article! Gotta love articles by Marlan Davis. I hadn't considered how different the oiling requirements could be for a flat-tappet motor like yours versus a roller motor like mine.
              2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Zinc as far as I know has been removed from ALL motor oils..Comp sells a supplement PN 159 to add to motors with mecanical flat-tappet motors
                R.I.P Linsey Nelson

'04 M75-"Chocolate Rain" - mid 13 beast
                Originally posted by MeanVic84
                Chocolate Rain. Some stay dry and others feel the pain.

Comment

Originally posted by brokebill View Post
                  tempted to try seafoam for the intake(not in the oil) but a little hesitant.
                  Shit does great, I can vouch for it.
                  1984 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murphmobile (RIP)
                  1985 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murph Deuce (SOLD)
                  1978 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, The Crapiece (current project)

Comment

got some deep creep today (my napa was out of the regular seafoam) and cleaned out the throttle body real good with it.
                    didnt have to use much and seemed to clean it out pretty good. just a little bit of smoke. will have to wait and see how it does on the open road as i just drove it around the house to blow it out.
                    thanks, Bill
                    s265.photobucket.com/albums/ii208/brokebill/
                    "Ain't we gonna bury him ?"
                    "Buzzards gotta eat same as worms."
                    ----outlaw josey wales
                    (88 LTD Crown Vic LX-Ruby)

Comment

How would you put the seafoam in the intake?
                      "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
                      -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                      -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
                      -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Working...
                      X