Engine oil flush technique?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine oil flush technique?

I have never had to do this. Whenever I pull my valve covers, everything looks like it was brandy new. I found this Panther in Poland and am intrigued by the process he used. Any thoughts on this?

http://www.supermotors.net/vehicles/...ry/17057/58690

I'm half afraid to know what that would do to your gaskets...
    1984 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murphmobile (RIP)
    1985 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murph Deuce (SOLD)
    1978 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, The Crapiece (current project)

Comment

Sure is a clean dipstick, though.

Comment

I'd be awfully suspicious of running the oil/diesel fuel mixture in there...that seems like it'd be pretty thin.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
        1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
        But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

I wouldn't do that on an engine with 330,000 km on it. It could loosen up a bunch of crap, and it may not come out of the engine; it may get caught elsewhere, leaving you fucked...

When I take my VC's off, my engine is very clean inside; it looks like new. My Dad was floored the first time I had the VC's off. The oil that comes out is nasty, but nothing that alarms me, or makes me say "damn, that ain't right". What the hell, its a carcinogen, right?

I would have used at least 3 quarts of oil with the diesel as well. 2 quarts of oil doesn't seem like enough. I'd be afraid of bearing damage...
          **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
          **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
          **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
          **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

His oil pump inlet screen would be pretty interesting to see I imagine. Worst case scenario for me was blowing an upper radiator hose during an aggressive passing maneuver and overheating the motor. I went home, reattached the hose, and put in some fresh oil, ran it a bit, and them dumped it out. I then refilled it with more Mobil 1 and spun on a Purolator Pure One filter.

Comment

If its clean under tha valve covers, and your oil still has some clean in it when you change it, you have no need for this.
              Its ONLY when its a LITTLE gunky that you do this kind of flush. If you do this to a sludgey motor, its a good risk of a one way ticket to clogged oilpump screenville. This is a land of dead engines.
              Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
              'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
              sigpic
              85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

you know those cans of engine flush that are for sale at auto parts stores? quart of kerosene is about all that is. Same difference pouring in some diesel with the oil. It cleans it out, but sometimes breaking that garbage up is a bad thing. Personally I'd let it lay, its nasty but probably doing less harm sitting still than it would if one were to break it free.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Not sure how a failed air filter caused sludge buildup ..........
                  2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

I toss in a quart of trans fluid with the oil. Little less harsh on the gaskets.

I rarely do it, decent oil change intervals will clean an engine up pretty well. Think I've only done it on one of my cars.... a 206K mercedes that actually is really clean inside.
                    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                      Not sure how a failed air filter caused sludge buildup ..........
                      Probably what happened was the air filter ruptured, so unfiltered air was getting into the engine, leading to dirt getting in the oil.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
                      1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
                      But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

overkill if you ask me.. his oil isnt going to stay that clean, and im sure it went back to being the normal black color like everyone elses.. the damage if any would already be done and it could also being doing more harm than good.

ever heard of seafoam? it does the same thing.
                        Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

Fucken diesel? This man took a risk with this procedure. I would be weary of even ATF let alone diesel. Regular oil changes would prevent an engine from getting that shitty in the first place.
                          sigpic
                          https://www.facebook.com/jason.baker.1614
                          1985 P43 Crown Vic, "Lightning Interceptor". Project is back on!
                          1987 P72 Crown Vic, EFI 351W (not my conversion), rusty and crusty parts car.
                          2006 Ford Fusion, 30MPG, premium sound, daily driver, 200K miles and still going.
                          2011 Ford Fucus, 36MPG, Sync, wifey / baby mobile.

Comment

After I drain my oil I pour two qts of cheapo oil in and let them drain right out. Gets the rest of the dirty stuff out then I plug and refill, Nice and clean...

My ex bro-in-law used kerosene to clean a motor he put in his Buick years ago, engine was full of sludge, just let it idle for 10 minutes. Didn't have any problems till the trans went bad, stayed in 1st gear and my sister drove it home at 55 mph...

Kerblowy!!!
                            2000 Grand Marquis LS
                            2000 F150 XLT 6 inches of lift.
                            1987 Bill Blass Mark VII - Sold
                            1985 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park- SOLD. to a little old lady
                            Mercury Owners Group member
                            Save The Whales, Restore an Old Station Wagon!!

Comment

Even with regular oil changes old-school Quaker State oil used to sludge pretty badly. I believe they fixed the formulation a few years ago. The only oil I usually use besides Mobil 1 is Castrol GTX dino oil. Never had a problem using either oil.

Comment

Working...
                              X