More Speed Density Questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More Speed Density Questions.

What kind of mods can I do to the stock lopo motor that won't mess with the computer? I would like to do some of the nuisance work to the car before I perform the motor swap. Right now I am thinking of changing the fuel pump, possibly a new tank, and increasing the fuel line size. Will this f' with the fuel injectors? I would also like to replace the radiator and install an electric fan. I am also thinking of changing the rear gears from 2.73 to 3.27. I want to have all of this stuff working and fitted B4 the engine swap so I have less to do when the time comes.

Packman

none of that will mess you up. If you upgrade the pump and fuel lines it would be a good idea to verify the fuel pressure at the rail but you should be fine. You can do pretty much whatever you want outside the motor as long as you don't remove any sensors, change the fuel injector size, or change the camshaft.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I've learned a little bit from you guys enough to know what SD computers to use and such. I also figured out why my Lincoln guy's MKVII wouldn't run last summer. I think he's running the stock HO SD. Which is why he was constantly trying to tune the car to run with a non-stock cam. I can't count on my fingers how many times he limped the car down the street. If you put a decent amount of cam (a lot of lope) behind a stock HO SD computer, what problems will you run into? His car would run enough to get him out of the neighborhood and a couple hours later it would literally be huffing and puffing down the street.

Packman

Comment

simply put, you can't.

The SD uses vacuum to sense load on the motor. Big cams=no vacuum= runs like shit.
        Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

this is why i went with a carb swap instead. i dont have to deal with the the computer nonsense and my motor runs perfectly fine. good luck though.

by the way i know theres plenty of mass air swap wiring kits on ebay you can buy as well as some dudes that made full kits thats arent too much.

Comment

Originally posted by import convert View Post
            this is why i went with a carb swap instead. i dont have to deal with the the computer nonsense and my motor runs perfectly fine. good luck though.

by the way i know theres plenty of mass air swap wiring kits on ebay you can buy as well as some dudes that made full kits thats arent too much.
            Big lumpy cams and panthers are a bad combo anyway. The HO or Explorer cam works great, and the SD HO ECU works good with GT40 heads.

My mass air conversion was a whopping 70 bucks- that included the ECU, 80mm MAF, the 04PI zip tube, wiring, and Marauder air box.
            Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Indeed, no vacuum = horribly rich fuel mix. It can be tuned for to some extent, but there is a point at which there isn't a good enough vacuum signal to work with. At that point, you go mass-air or Alpha-N. Alpha-N basically uses the TPS and RPMs only to handle fuel mix. Really crazy motors use that, no restriction in the intake line, and minimal sensors on the engine.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd View Post
                Big lumpy cams and panthers are a bad combo anyway.
                yea i kinda found htat out with my ford E cam seeing how it doesnt kick in till about 2800rpms

Comment

Working...
                X