Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oil Pump Priming issues. Seriously this motor hates me...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil Pump Priming issues. Seriously this motor hates me...

So attempting to get a prime on the engine using a drill and spinning the oil pump drive shaft. It's a brand new oil pump.

as i hand spun the shaft slowly around counter clockwise i could hear oil squirting into the oil filter and filling itup. yay!

now here is the SOB. as soon as pressure starts to build, it's likethe oil pump driveshaft slips in the pump. it jumps like a hex is slipping on a rounded out bolt. ya know? i can't physically see the bottom of the pump or the bottom of the driveshaft, to do that i'd have to take the pan off, drain all the oil, etc. but as i spin it around it definatly jumps once every turn, and so far no oil pressure yet. i was hesitant to attach the drill and spin it up fast until i tried to figure out WTH the issue with this thing jumping all the time was.

so.. WTH. the way it goes is 3/4 turn good feeling, then JUMP. 3/4 turn good feeling, then JUMP. each time it pops it's just as it starts to build up pressure it feels like.

now to compound the frustration as i removed the socket wrench from the shaft, the shaft lifted out of the pump on the bottom and now i can't figure out how to get it back in. their is no way to really manipulate the driveshaft at all from the top of the motor, you have to have it set into the oil pump from below before assembly yes / no?

SO I'M F-ED. now i gotta drain the oil, pull the pan, put the driveshaft back in. inspect for issues (i suspect i'll find none). then what, put it all together and try again? it's a brand new pump...

SON OF A I WANNA BURN THE F-ER TO THE GROUND. Thoughts / suggestions are welcome. Anybody experienced this? should i have just put a drill on the shaft when it was in place and spun it up and seen if this popping / clicking / jumping went away?
    1986 Ford Contry Squire: HO engine swap, 3G alternator, 3.73 gears, rear air springs, Class III 8000 lb hitch... potential tow rig for my Blazer trail toy??

How did you install the shaft? With the stopper facing the top of the motor, or the bottom, did the oil pump turn freely by hand? Any binding is bad. Did you replace the driveshaft with a new one while you had all that out of the car?

Comment

stopper thingy is facing the bottom, down by the oil pump. oil pump turned freely and easily until it tried to build up pressure. i inspected the shaft and saw minimal to no wear on it and re-used it.

i'm gonna have to pull the stupid thing and take a look at it. i was just mondo pissed off and needed to vent. i'm still mondo pissed off. at this rate my wagon will be on the road again in like january.
      1986 Ford Contry Squire: HO engine swap, 3G alternator, 3.73 gears, rear air springs, Class III 8000 lb hitch... potential tow rig for my Blazer trail toy??

Comment

are you sure the shaft is going far enough into the pump?
        would not happen to be using a 302 driveshaft in a 351 pump?
        http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
        http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

An oil pressure gauge of some sort would be helpful as well.

Also, to get the shaft back in, try using a magnetic 1/4 inch bit driver.
          Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
          Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

I have had much better luck turning the pump by hand with an old pump shaft chucked up in a brace.
            Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

I didn't think it should be possible to pull the shaft up out of the oil pump ... sounds like the little collar may be broken or slipping. I just spent the $16 on an ARP shaft on both the 302s I've assembled at home, and they're entirely machined from chromoly with no little collars to slip or break, so I'm not used to thinking in terms of stock oil pump shafts.
              2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by DuceAnAHalf View Post
                are you sure the shaft is going far enough into the pump?
                would not happen to be using a 302 driveshaft in a 351 pump?
                +1. 302 shaft is 5/16, 351 shaft is 3/8.

Once the shaft is out of the pump, unless you're extremely lucky with a magnet, its probably not going back in there. There is a clip that is supposed to keep that from happening, but if the clip slipped down the shaft, or its missing entirely, it does no good.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

ha! what's a 1/4 inch shaft out of then? cause that's what i have. it was the shaft that came out of the motor.... and fits the pump properly although i can't be positive it's engaging the pump properly.

appreciate the replies everybody but it was really more of a big venting session than anything... i decided to spend last night working on one of my other cars to get it on the road again, and probably won't look at the 302 for another week or so. give me time to calm down and not do something stupid, like hit it with a sledge hammer.

next step will probalby be to try and put the distributor in, if it goes in and seats properly then the shaft should be all they way down into the pump. hopefully it turns out it's not seated. i'll try the magnet trick to get the pump driveshaft back up so i can re-align it.

Comment

1/4" shaft? Weird?
                    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

hm, or maybe i fucked that up, 302 uses 1/4 and a 351 uses 5/16. sorry, had a senior moment or something. in any case, the 351 uses a bigger shaft, and the 302 one won't work properly in a 351 pump. The 351 pump does otherwise bolt up.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by JD's Toy View Post
                        stopper thingy is facing the bottom, down by the oil pump.
                        That's not good, just be careful when you remove your distributor, other wise, you might run into the reason why I needed to take my oil pan off. The shaft fell down between the crank and the block. Stopper is supposed be facing towards the top of the engine. So it won't move at all. Your priming issues may be because that shaft can move more freely than it should. try pressing down on it a little when priming, to see if it changes your problem.

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                        I didn't think it should be possible to pull the shaft up out of the oil pump
                        you shouldn't. Unless it was installed upside down, or the stopper is missing. Installing it upside down was my problem.
                        Last edited by 86VickyLX; 10-01-2008, 11:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                          you shouldn't. Unless it was installed upside down, or the stopper is missing. Installing it upside down was my problem.
                          apparently mine is upside down too. yay.

Comment

Be careful mang, one false move and clunk. Then you'll have to drop the pan, again...

Comment

yea i've had the clip slide off too.......use a new shaft every time!

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                              2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                              1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                              1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                              2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                              1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Working...
                              X