3g alternator harvest.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3g alternator harvest.

Ok, I checked many postings in the archives. I learned about many things regarding the 3g upgrade that Im planning on doing. Most postings go into detail about vehicles in the late 80's and 90's. I have a carbed 1982 302 that is stock. All I need to know is what vehicle or vehicles I can pull a used 3g from when I go top the U-Pull it place. I believe I have the large case 8.25 bolt spacing alt. see pic. Please advise. I have a friend with a 1994 ford taurus 3.8. His alt looks like it would fit. What do you guys think? Also, Will my pulley old pull go on the 3G??
    Attached Files
    Last edited by 82LTDQS; 10-27-2008, 08:32 PM. Reason: Forgot something
    Vehicle: 1965 Pontiac Catalina (fastback 2+2)
    Chasis: 1982 Ford LTD Country Squire
    Drivetrain: 302 V8 carb, AOD, 8.8 with 3.08 gears.
    Big Brake swap and front suspension completed.
    sigpic

Large frame alternators come from 3.8 Taurus, Continental, and Windstars. Small case ones come from 3.0 Taurus, or 3.8 Couger, Mustang, Tbird, and 5.0 Mustangs in 94-95.

Do you have a V belt or a mult-rib? If its the standard 6 rib, then the Taurus alternator has the proper pulley already. If you have a V belt, no idea if that pulley will swap, though I suspect it will.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

6-rib
      sigpic

Comment

Will this work??? 6 rib and all.
        sigpic

Comment

i have a polished v-rib pulley for a 3g alternator. came with the powder coated 3g that i got
          http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
          http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post

If you have a V belt, no idea if that pulley will swap, though I suspect it will.
            You are correct sir. When I recently bought a new alternator for GL, for some reason they gave me one with a V pulley, so I swapped the 6 rib from my old alternator onto the new one, worked like a charm.
            Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
            Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 82LTDQS View Post
              probably, but verify your bolt spacing first. Its posted somewhere around here what the bolt to bolt spacing is for the large vs small alternator. I don't remember it off the top of my head. The 100 amp is the larger spacing, but the older cars also had a similar looking, but smaller amperage alternator that I think was the small bolt spacing. If you do have the large alternator, theres a possibility that you will need to grind that upper tab on the large frame 3g to get it in place. I know you have to do that on a Mark VII which uses the same 100 amp as the Panther was optional with.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
              X