No announcement yet.

90 GM LS: Heater Hose and return hose are cool and have no pressure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, I have heat again. I replaced the Murray Thermostat with the Superstat one.

The upper radiator hose gets hot, hot enough I cannot hold onto it very long, and the heater hoses get warm.

The air coming through the vents is just warm, which is about as good as it ever was before it stopped.

Many thanks to all you guys. I have learned a lot in this process.

I think I still have issues with the blend door opening and closing properly though.

Comment

Ok, the blend door is opening and closing just fine. I took apart the whole dash just to make sure.

Today I took the car out for a drive and floored it down a straight stretch for about 5 minutes.

FINALLY, the air started to get warmer. It is now to where I would call it a good heat level. Not really that hot, but good enough.

What could cause this? Did I just not flush out the heater core well enough? Water pump finally pushed some gunk out of it?

My dad says he has some stuff to clean the heater core, but you have to drive sixty miles with it in the radiator. Should I try this stuff? and will it work OK with anti-freeze mixed in?

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
        I bet you do have some air in there. Coolant likes to disappear when there's air in the system. If there isn't any coolant on the ground, I want you to open your radiator cap, and start your car. Put your heat on full on high and let it run. Any air in the system will come out. When it's all gone, the water will start to over flow, at that time, close the cap and add coolant to the resevoir. By then, you should have heat. And everything should be operating as it should.
        I'm having a similar issue...where exactly does the coolant dissapear to?
        Nick
        88 Colony Park LS
        G-pa's old car, but he's cruisin around heaven in his 69 wagon now
        Future plans:Semi HO conversion, or Explorer motor swap, shift kit, PI springs and sway bars, KYB-GR2 shocks

Comment

Two questions:

Originally posted by Eric_S View Post
          I took the car out to a mechanic my Dad recommended. When we got there we checked the upper radiator hose and it seemed very hot and had pressure. The heater hose was still slack and cool though. He recommended replacing the coolant temperature sensor.
          1) What could an electrical sensor possibly have to do with a system that is entirely mechanical?

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
          I bet you do have some air in there. Coolant likes to disappear when there's air in the system. If there isn't any coolant on the ground, I want you to open your radiator cap, and start your car. Put your heat on full on high and let it run. Any air in the system will come out. When it's all gone, the water will start to over flow, at that time, close the cap and add coolant to the resevoir. By then, you should have heat. And everything should be operating as it should.
          2) What does running an electric fan have to do with getting air out of your cooling system?
          2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

The heater instruction is an old thing, mostly for cars that controlled the heat with a valve in the heater line. Ours are full flow through the core all the time.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I have a problem with my blend door: it doesnīt stay open/closed. When I want cold air, after a while I gets hot, and when I donīt want any air at all, I get hot air.

Anyone, familiar with that issue? Vacuum problem? (interior temperature sensor changed 1 year ago)

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                The heater instruction is an old thing, mostly for cars that controlled the heat with a valve in the heater line.
                Interesting, never heard of that system. Sounds unreliable. What sort of vehicles did it that way?
                2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

heater core is probably clogged

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                  2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                  1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                  1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                  2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                  1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                    Interesting, never heard of that system. Sounds unreliable. What sort of vehicles did it that way?
                    Lots of stuff, 70s Chryslers come to mind, friend had a 77 Cordoba with a partially seized valve and a broken control cable. It was opened in the fall with vise-grips and closed in the spring. I'm sure others did it.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I know this thread is damn near 3 years old at this point, but I'm going through some of my old stuff on the internet relating to this car and trying to add my experiences.

that said:

Well, it wasn't anything in this thread. I did clog up the radiator with stop leak, but that wasn't the root of the problem. Never using any of that shit again. I've learned against magic potions in the last few years. A more thorough flushing and belching of the cooling system improved performance, but it wasn't until later on in the summer that my water pump completely failed that I figured out that was what was causing my heater to not work properly.

After I replaced it the heater works perfectly now.

Comment

In fact I still have the same problem, never had time to look into it. At some point I wanted to change the heater core but it is burried so deeply into the engine compartment and expectably hard to extract that I forgot about it. I have though cleaned chemically the whole cooling circuit with no noticeable change.
                        As of today, the warm air works for some time (10 min maybe), then the vent door closes audibly and shuts off warm air supply. Maybe the temperature regulator I changed is crap (chinese quality? no offence) or some vacuum line popped off.

Comment

Working...
                        X