Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

90 5.0 Town Car uses the 5.0 HO firing order?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Funny, I thought I would be helpful and check my old computer - turns out it just says "3.0 Taurus/Sable Only".
    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

http://www.fordfuelinjection.com/?p=17

is what you need for the ECM program code. It should be a 3 or 4 character code seperate from the main part number. GTE is probably the code, but I don't see it on the list. That list is far from complete though. Wouldn't remotely surprise me if you have the correct original ECM in there. If someone just tossed some random engine in there without really knowing what it came from, or understanding that every EFI 302 is not absolutely the same I doubt they'd have researched the ECM and changed it to the correct one to make the motor right.

The 3.0 Taurus thing you'll find on a LOT of ECMs. No idea why, but it seems like someone at the Ford ECM sticker factory just slapped that label on everything they made for a few years. Feel free to ignore it, its pretty much meaningless.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Just got back from the junk yard and scored a ecm out of a 88 mark vii. The computer code is DY3 which, from reading this website, should work perfect.

I also seen another 90 lincoln town car and grabbed the fan shroud and coolant overflow since mine are broken.

I also pulled a plug on the motor and the spark plug hole is the same as my car. I don't remember the plug number but I want to say had a 44 under the part number on the plug. I should have grabbed one.

So since it seems that the 90 tc's had heads with ho spark plug holes. I guess now I can only base my assumption that it has a ho 5.0 in it on the fact that it runs way better on the ho firing order.
        1990 Lincoln Town Car 5.0 H.O.

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
          Funny, I thought I would be helpful and check my old computer - turns out it just says "3.0 Taurus/Sable Only".
          Wow, so did mine. I thought it was a Friday afternoon build mistake!
          sigpic
          Current Rides
          67 Cougar XR7
          97 Mountaineer 5.0
          03 Ranger XLT

Comment

Random thought - how would a HO engine run with HO firing order but LowPo injection order (assuming the injection harness wasn't rewired)? I'd guess the fuel would tend to condense on its way into the out-of-sync cylinders.
            2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

I've thought of that but the oil smells like oil, no gas contamination that I can smell.
              1990 Lincoln Town Car 5.0 H.O.

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                Random thought - how would a HO engine run with HO firing order but LowPo injection order (assuming the injection harness wasn't rewired)? I'd guess the fuel would tend to condense on its way into the out-of-sync cylinders.
                Mostly its idle you'll have problems with, but it will run. With some RPM, things are happening fast enough that the slight mismatch in injector event vs intake valve event isn't significant at all. Trucks run batch fire, meaning 4 injectors fire at a time. Most of them aren't in sync with an intake valve event, so the same thing happens. They run OK.

http://fordfuelinjection.com/?p=92 explains it better than I can. It also elaborates on why re-pinning the harness is a bad idea.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                X