RIP AOD - what now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RIP AOD - what now?

Today unfortunately my AOD which has been rebuilt 18 months ago failed. The 3rd gear and 4th gear are slipping. I am wondering what now. I really want reliable transmission and my experiences with stock AOD are definitely not good. What are my possibilities? Unfortunately I can not spent to much money on the repair right now, so the price is also crucial.

The rebuilt here in the Czech Republic is somewhere between 1000 - 1500 USD. Should I do this with some performance parts (which)? Or should I use some more reliable transmission from another car (chevy?)? Any suggestions? I am not able to do anything with the transmission myself so I have to rely on the work of the mechanics. After last rebuilt I thought that it is OK for another 10+ years... I was so wrong..

Thank you for any suggestions.
    sigpic

What's the condition of your TV cable bushing? Did the shop that rebuilt the transmission adjust the TV pressure correctly? Even on a completely stock rebuild, an AOD lasting only 18 months is definitely not normal. I'd go back to the shop and see what they can tell you, because it sounds to me like they messed up. If everything is done correctly, the AOD is actually a very reliable and good transmission.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
    1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
    But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

The shop did not replaced the bushing. I have replaced the bushing circa two months ago and have adjusted it as well (according the info found on this forum), however I believe that 4th gear started slipping before the bushing replacement and readjustment (after the adjustment I drove many hundreds of miles). Maybe the only problem is AOD band, I am not sure if this has been replaced during the rebuilt. I think that it is not normal too, but I have read that AOD is not reliable transmission and it is not unusual it to fail year after rebuilt... that is why I am not blaming the shop, in case it is not so unusual and the problem was that they messed it up, it would be something different.
      sigpic

Comment

T5
        1984 CV tudor 351W, 4bbl, 5-speed best time in the 1/8 8.39 at 80 with 1.80 60ft time.
        2006 P71, 1988 Bronco II, 1986 Baby LTD(5.0 & T5 swap in progress), 1976 16' Hobie Cat, 12' AquaFinn
        http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2651997 UPDATED 20100826
        sigpic

Comment

Get an AOD out of a mustang I believe they fixed the sprag retainer problem and it also has a higher shift governor on it. I run a mustang AOD in mine and it has help up great.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
          Big plans

Comment

Doesn't the Mustang AOD have a shorter tail housing?

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
            1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
            But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

The main thing is that if the thing was rebuilt by a competent transmission builder and installed/adjusted correctly from the start, it should not have failed. If my experiences having an AOD professionally installed are any indication, shops like to adjust the TV cable quite a bit on the loose side, which in extreme cases can lead to early failure no matter how well the thing was built to start with.

BTW, higher shift points really won't accomplish anything if the engine is still stock. Lowpos don't make power over 4 grand! :p
              2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

sounds like the tv pressure was too low........i have several aod's with well over 100,000 miles......the aod in my towny has 204,000 on it

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Why don't transmission installers know how to adjust TV pressure, anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Iffy View Post
                    Today unfortunately my AOD which has been rebuilt 18 months ago failed. The 3rd gear and 4th gear are slipping. I am wondering what now. I really want reliable transmission and my experiences with stock AOD are definitely not good. What are my possibilities? Unfortunately I can not spent to much money on the repair right now, so the price is also crucial.

The rebuilt here in the Czech Republic is somewhere between 1000 - 1500 USD. Should I do this with some performance parts (which)? Or should I use some more reliable transmission from another car (chevy?)? Any suggestions? I am not able to do anything with the transmission myself so I have to rely on the work of the mechanics. After last rebuilt I thought that it is OK for another 10+ years... I was so wrong..

Thank you for any suggestions.

If both 3rd and 4th are slipping, then the direct clutch is going, which is required for both 3rd and 4th operation.

More information later....I have to run.

Comment

I have to asked them about the TV pressure adjustment, whether they did it or not after rebuild. But after replacing of the bushing I have readjusted, it definetely to higher TV pressure than it was after the repair. But I remeber that when I talked to the guy via phone and told him that the transmission downsifhts from 4th to 3rd in circa 65mph, he told that it should not do (that is why I believe they have set it to lower TV pressure.. but who knows). Could there be problem with the TV pressure setting on the other end of the cable on the transmission?

If it is only direct clutch how expensive could the repair be? Could it be caused by overheating as well? The temperature of the engine was at that moment about 210 degrees not more. I believe that slightly slipping gears because of the low TV pressure could also cause the loss of acceleration in 4th gear..?
                      sigpic

Comment

Should not downshift to 3rd at 65? Under what conditions?

I'm happier when it downshifts to Second at 65 ... depending on your rear gears, that is. If your AOD is stock, it will downshift to from Fourth to Third at WOT at any speed up to your vehicle's top speed, because the transmission was for some reason not designed not hold Fourth at WOT.

TV pressure is set by sliding the thingy by the throttle body; the transmission end of the cable is not designed to be adjustable. And even if it were, having the pressure too low will still result in unsatisfactory performance and eventually kill your transmission. Usually you'll want it set so that the cable is fully extended at full throttle - at least, that's how I like to set mine.

Comment

Here is a forum devoted to AOD transmissions. I learned alot about how this transmission stuff works from them.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirate View Post
                            If both 3rd and 4th are slipping, then the direct clutch is going, which is required for both 3rd and 4th operation.

More information later....I have to run.
                            correct.. direct cluth operates in both gears.
                            I am guessing you have too much TV pressure, since your adjustment.
                            too much TV pressure will cause late and harsh shifting and fry OD band and eventually the direct clutches.

adjusting the TV pressure with out a gauge is very bad.
                            If you insist on making adjustments with out a gauge, do very small adjustments (1 to 2 teeth at a time) and mark the adjustment block so you can go back if need be.
                            2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
                            89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
                            88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

Originally posted by 88grandmarq View Post
                              correct.. direct cluth operates in both gears.

Yay, I've been certified by the 'expert'!

Comment

Working...
                              X