Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pinging under light load, goes away with more throttle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pinging under light load, goes away with more throttle?

Hey guys, recently my car began pinging under light throttle after I've driven it for awhile and if you give it a little more gas, the pinging instantly stops. It's most noticeable on the highway after coasting down a hill and placing my foot back on the throttle. Anyone have any ideas as to what may cause this?

Edit: it only seems to do it on hot days, could it be that it is running a little too hot? I have no CEL for overheating though.
    Nick
    88 Colony Park LS
    G-pa's old car, but he's cruisin around heaven in his 69 wagon now
    Future plans:Semi HO conversion, or Explorer motor swap, shift kit, PI springs and sway bars, KYB-GR2 shocks

The replace engine light comes on around 250 degrees, which is way too hot. Really need a temperature gauge to see if its running hot. If the fan clutch is bad, that could do it too.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

fuel fiter, sounds like it's running lean. Could be lots of stuff. Like Gadget mentioned, fan clutch could be shot, or anything else with cooling system, could be a bad sensor. I'd have the codes checked and work from there.
      Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

I just replaced the fuel filter which helped quite a bit. I still have a slight vacuum leak that I haven't been able to find, but would that be enough to cause it?

The fan clutch might be bad though, I noticed a gooey, greasy residue on the fan belt the other day. I thought they failed in the engaged position though. If the fan was constantly spinning, how would that cause overheating?
        Nick
        88 Colony Park LS
        G-pa's old car, but he's cruisin around heaven in his 69 wagon now
        Future plans:Semi HO conversion, or Explorer motor swap, shift kit, PI springs and sway bars, KYB-GR2 shocks

Comment

several things will cause the problem you are having... could be the engine getting too hot, could be the AIT sensor is gummed up with oilly crap. could be a bad TPS, could be a bad EGR valve EGR vaccum regulator (EVR)

check the ECM for stored trouble codes and inspect for vaccum leaks. pay particular attention to the vaccum harness on the passenger side of the engine compartment, those ususally fall apart over the years from exhaust heat.
          2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
          89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
          88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

Fans don't usually fail locked. They tend to freewheel when the clutch fails, resulting in severely reduced airflow. If you can spin it easily by hand, its probably bad. It should move with some resistance, and stop turning after you stop applying pressure.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yes, a vacuum leak would cause the problem.
              Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Working...
              X