Random miss fire?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Random miss fire?

Lately my car has been acting up, I'll be driving down the hwy, and it will jerk. U can hear it in the exhaust, it almost acts like someone just turns a switch off and on really quick. I don't think it has to do with the dura spark box, the distributor, plugs, wires, cap or rotor, mainly because that stuff is all new sense I put on the carb. Could it just be a loose or frayed power wire? It seems to be ok for the first 10-15 min. of run time, than it might act up one every 20 miles, or sometimes its a lot more than that. Its really startin to piss me off though. Any ideas would help a lot. Thanks.
    sigpic

O. I forgot to mention, it has shut itself off at a stop light once or twice. But it fires right up, when I hit the key again.
    sigpic

Comment

Check the connections in the ignition system. Sounds like something loose or dirty. Could also be the ignition switch falling apart if yours is original.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I do know all the connections under the hood are good. But I have not checked the ignition switch. It is original. Would the one off the 86 fit my 83? I'm guessin it might be different.
        sigpic

Comment

Fuel system? A clogged fuel filter or dying fuel pump maybe? It sorta sounds like my symptoms if I run it low on fuel and it starts gulping air in the tank.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
          160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
          waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

I don't think its fuel. a carb wouldn't do that, plus it has a steady 5.5 pounds of fuel pressure. Fuel filter has less than 8,000 miles on it.
            sigpic

Comment

Ignition switch on an 86 is the same, and probably also bad. New ones are like 25 bucks, and it may save your car from burning to the ground. Buy a new one.
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Well I went out and looked, the switch in the parts car was shot anyways. So I'll buy a new one this week n see if it helps.
                sigpic

Comment

Check the plugs. That carb puts out lots of fuel and it may be fouling them. Sounds like what my 91 does all the time. 9/10 times its a bad plug.
                  1989 Grand Marquis LS
                  flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

I'll check that this weekend, when I pull the intake to fix the oil leak, I'm also going to put a ignition switch in it, its only $13.
                    sigpic

Comment

Well its now safe to say its not the ignition switch, or any of the wires under the hood. I installed the ignition switch, drove home, n it still jerked form time to time. So I had it running, and wiggled all the conectors and wires under the hood, and nothin. So I'm going out in a min. to pull some spark plugs and do a compression test.
                      sigpic

Comment

All the plugs looked good, but one, the electrode with the porcelain around it was off center. The compression was between 125-132 psi for all 8. But it looked like there was oil under the distributor cap. I put a new cap and rotor on last week, n it looked like crap already, so I cleaned out the distributor,and the cap so I'll see if it runs right on my way to work in the morning.
                        sigpic

Comment

How old is the alternator?
                          '79 Continental Town Car
                          '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                          '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Alternator is more than likely 26 years old. I have a voltage guage in the car, n it shows about 14 volts when the car is running.
                            sigpic

Comment

If you're getting oil inside the distributor, its probably in desperate need of a rebuild. That might actually be the problem, if its loose enough that oil is getting up there, the rotor shaft is probably wobbling around a bit. COuld be enough to misfire occasionally. That malformed plug also sounds like it should be replaced. May have been made wrong, and it finally failed internally.

Comment

Working...
                              X