mufflers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mufflers

what do u guys suggest that i should get for the car, its an 88 vic (im going to get duals)
    I dont want it to be too loud but like a nice pur that can roar but doesnt make too much noise whem i drive. also im going to install stock mustang shorty headers. do i need anything special to install them in? cause i heard that i might need an adapter?

if your keeping some cats go with flowmaster 40's or 44's. They sound great on these cars. You get on youtube and see clips and some sound like crap becasue thier on crap cars. These 5.0's and long pipes go great with flowmasters.

It doesn't sound like a loud muffler, just makes it sound like you motor has serious balls.
    Finally have an on the books porting/custom fab business!
    HO bottom end,GT40Ps,cut/welded/ported upper+lower GT40 intakes,Comp XE258 cam,MS3X megasquirt computer,8 LS2 coils,2 dry systems + a 3rd wet,3 core rad w fans..1100hp Lentech WR AOD,custom 4" aluminum/moly Dshaft,custom rear/back half chassis adjustable 4link,wilwood 4 piston,moser 9" axles,locker, M/T 30x12's,4 staged fuel pumps,100lbs sound insulation,power/remote everything,2000W sound.4480lbs. 4.5s 0-60,12.8 1/4

Comment

Mustang header formula for stock 5.0 Lowpos:

1) stock '86-'93 5.0 Mustang tubular exhaust manifolds
      2) stock '86-'93 5.0 Mustang H pipe
      3) Walker 43281 midpipes (2.25" OD)
      4) Muffler of your choice in 2.25" in and 2" out
      5) stock Vic tailpipes

Alternate formula for stock lowpos:

2) Add 2.25" female ball flange adapters (availabe from Walker) to your stock "downpipes" to mate properly to Mustang headers
      3) leave rest of stock exhaust largely intact

Typical formula for modified engines:

1) aftermarket '86-'93 5.0 Mustang shorty headers
      2) aftermarket '86-'93 5.0 Mustang H pipe or X pipe, usually 2.5" diameter
      3) Maremont 339221 midpipes (2.5" OD), or use Mustang midpipes with extensions
      4) choice of mufflers in 2.5" in/out
      5) '95 Impala SS tailpipes in 2.5" (Dynomax 54016 and 54017)

My alternate formula for modified engines:

4) choice of mufflers in 2.5" in / 2.25" out
      5) have a local exhaust shop fab tailpipes in 2.25"

I have some 2.5" parts with Super Turbo mufflers that are for sale, but you'll probably perfer the first option if your engine is stock.

Tech tip: the smaller your exhaust and milder your engine, the louder a muffler you'll probably be able to tolerate before going mad at cruise speeds. Listen to lots of Mustang clips, and take advantage of "The Sounds of Dynomax" at the Dynomax website to help narrow down what you like. It accomplishes nothing for someone else to think your car sounds "awesome" if you're unhappy with the results.
      Last edited by 1987cp; 09-27-2009, 11:29 PM.
      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Yup....Id go with some flows...I had original straight 40's on my G-Marq and people allways thought the car had more than it did..LOL...But on the vic I went a diffrent, more louder route...NO Mufflers...

Comment

sounds like good stuff i was thinking to go with flowmasters 40's or Dynomax Ultra flow welded.

I hit the jackpot cause i went to the junkyard and a 89 grand marquis was fresh to the yard (rest in peace) so i looked around at it and it had duals that looked new all the pipes were like rust free and the both had awesome looking chrome exhaust tips that were not the cheap ass store kind nothing had no rust!!! the guy told me that i can take it if i could take it off for $30 its mine!!!! but it had no mufflers

Comment

If you are going Dynomax, use magnaflow instead. Much longer lasting and I have always found them to be cheaper.
            1990 LTD Crown Vic w/ dead 5.0
            1984 Pontiac 6000 cammed 2.5L Iron Duke
            1986 F-150 300 6cyl 5spd.
            1994 Crown Vic... Free, bad trans?

Comment

i have used many mufflers on members cars........there are too many choices......whats your price range per muffler?

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
              2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
              1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
              1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
              2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
              1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by 351m View Post
                If you are going Dynomax, use magnaflow instead. Much longer lasting and I have always found them to be cheaper.
                Cheaper? Must be comparing them only to the Ultra Flow SS ....

My favorite muffler from the Sounds of Dynomax feature? The QuietFlow.

Comment

thrush welded turbos are nice and they are 30 bucks a piece.........flowmasters and magnaflows are overpriced

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                  2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                  1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                  1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                  2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                  1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

V-Force, or a VX series muffler from AP exhaust products. Sound clip of my exhaust in my sig. I like how they sound and they are a lot cheaper than flows.
                    sigpic

Comment

I've run many mufflers also, I run glasspacks on my Vic (was on a tight budget when i had it dualed. I found dynmax to be too quiet, flowmaster uses too thin of metal and rusted out quickly (i think they have a 6 or 12 mo warranty. I've run Magnaflow and like them the best, they have a throaty sound at idle, but really sound good when you get into it plus have a lifetime warranty. They are worth the money!

2011 Grand Marquis LS Ultimate Edition
                      Dual Exhaust w/ AP XLerator mufflers and 3 1/2" tips, Eibach 1" rear sway bar, Pioneer Head unit and speakers, 17X8 Drag DR-72 wheels

RIP 1984 2Dr Crown Vic "The Millennium Falcon"
                      Carbed 5.0 HO w/nitrous , Performer RPM intake, GT40P heads, E303 cam, FRP Shorties, FRP 9mm plug wires, Off-Road H-pipe, Magnaflow round mufflers, 2000 rpm stall
                      NA-15.78@91.21, 80hp shot-14.48@96.21

Comment

I just thought of something; how come no one's running Borlas? Is it mostly the cost, since you can get a similarly-constructed straight through stainless-case muffler from Magnaflow for less money?

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                          I just thought of something; how come no one's running Borlas? Is it mostly the cost, since you can get a similarly-constructed straight through stainless-case muffler from Magnaflow for less money?
                          Yeah pretty much. Magnaflow's are worth it, same construction as Dynomax Ultraflo Welded but same price and they're stainless. Liek Smokestack said, can't beat the price for it's quality and lifetime warranty.

Oh and I have a set of turbo mufflers i'll sell you for 20 bucks for the pair. They're 2.5" in/out but offset inlet, center outlet so you'd have to have the tails slightly extended to fit.
                          88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
                          Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

yea so ill checkout the magna flow. its a pain to get those pipes out i dont have a cordless sawzall so it sucks. but i found a outlet and they said i could use it if i bring my own cord extensions, it looks like i need three to reach.

also i tried looking for those walker female ball flange adapters for the mustang headers online but i cant find them!!!! I dont know whether what im typing it in wrong or what!!!!

Comment

Took me a little poking to find the PN also, as I usually have to go back to my master catalog. I've posted it here in threads before, but it's never been stickied or anything and the threads tend to get buried.

Anyway, 41725 is the one listed as 2.25", which should be basically the same as the collector flange end of a stock Mustang H pipe. IIRC, 41724 is 2" (presumably the same as our stock flanges) and 41726 is 2.5".

Hopefully this link works: http://www.napaonline.com/NOLPPSE/(S...725_0215303684

Comment

Working...
                              X