Finally got my gears in.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally got my gears in.....

I just went through a very interesting endeavor. We (I think that's called the royal we?) attempted to replace the open rear in the blue wagon with the old traction loc from the Capri & a set of new FRPP 4:10's that I picked up @ Swap meet a year or two ago....

It was a bear to find a 0-60 inch pound beam torque wrench that I could borrow, no one had one and apparently no one sells them anymore... I finally found one at **** Tool Warehouse, good thing they open at 7:am.

Thursday night, the first thing was when I attempted to repack the clutches, I had a rebuild kit missing the s spring & retainer bolt, I had ordered an f-150 spring & a bolt and soaked the new clutches in Redline. When I disassembled the rear I found that the most of the CLUTCHES were fine, but EVERY spider gear tooth was cracked...Naturally, the repair kit costs about $20 less than a new trac-loc. Friday, I acquired a used unit & found 2 clutches w/broken ears, so I used the best 6 from the old one & the 2 best from the new one (So, I still have a partial clutch kit, but now the clutches have been soaked & I don't really want to put them back into the box...). Then I remembered that it was the cross pin that bent, broke & ripped the cover open and had broken the gears on the white car, so I called ***** Ford (I'm on a first name basis w/the Parts Manager LOL) & ordered the pin, of course, it comes w/the retainer bolt that I had already bought....

Next issue, my press is too small to remove the pinion bearing, off we go to *****'s machine shop.
    Got home & back to work, I was going to use the carrier bearings and races that came on the new (used) diff, when I noticed that a few rollers were pitted, several phone calls later, I found a set at Auto Zone. My bearing seperator set up wouldn't work with my small press, and trying a gear puller did nothing but tear up the cages. Luckily, ***** was rained out at the dirt track and was still in the machine shop. Naturally, I didn't notice that I had neglected to bring the new bearings, back to my garage, When I got back to *****'s he was removing the remains of the bearings w/an air chisel. I could have done that, if only I had thought of it myself... He then pressed the new bearings on.

Next, my press was too small to install the new bearing on the pinion (actually I couldn't find anything to use to press it on). I am beginning to develop a severe case of "press envy" That's if for tonight.

Saturday, When I finally had a chance to get back to the salt mine, I assembled the rear (easy to say, but not to do when you are under a car 2 feet off the ground LOL).

The back lash was about .0085, the minimum allowed in the spec is .008, I didn't like that so I spent an hour or so mic'ing all my spare shims, none would work. Then I remembered a gear swap article from Cars Illustrated? Street & Strip Supercar? early MM&FF? where the shims were swapped from side to side... now I'm at like .014, the max allowed is .015. Ok now what? I want to be in the center of the range, around .012-.013. It's about 2:AM & I'm getting frustrated. The book tells me to change both shims by .006, my smallest shim is a .010, so in my sleep deprived brain, it makes sense to coerce a .010 into the gear side of the pumpkin (an apt seasonal reference). now I'm back to like .008 back lash, and the rear won't come back out, not with screwdrivers, pry bars, pry bars with additional encouragement from the 4 lb dead blow hammer, 'nuffin, won't budge. Must be break time.

Sunday I just couldn't work up the enthusiasm to go to the garage. Meanwhile the Capri is parked on the stinkin' street I backed the Explorer to within a few inches of the nose & put the White Wagon behind it less than a foot off the bumper. It got rained on for 2 days & it was under a tree, I'm still trying to remove the sap stains...

Monday, Day 4 (of an anticipated 2 day job w/an extra day in reserve). After finally convincing the diff to extricate itself from the gourd (well maybe not apt, but still seasonal) I reinstalled it just to recheck the lash. that's around the time that I found the note in the Helms manual that .013 to .015 is the "optimal" lash, um I was there on Saturday....

Tuesday, good thing I bought 3 extra crush collars.....

Finally got it done on Wed. night it is smooth & quiet, no noises. Hurray for me.

Does anyone need an inexpensive set of 3.27's?

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

What a trip.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

excellent job mang!

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

sounds like pretty much any project I try to do.... 2 days planned turns into week worth of work.
        Last edited by 88grandmarq; 09-29-2009, 12:56 PM.
        2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
        89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
        88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

Working...
        X