OK to drive with TPS off?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK to drive with TPS off?

I think I may have found the source of my really high idle. I bought a new TPS sensor today, and when I screw it onto the TB, the revs shoot up, I'm guessing to around 2500-3k. I take it back off, but leave the wire connected, and the car idles like brand new. I screwed it on upside down so the little spinny thing inside doesn't touch the metal tab thingy on the TB and the car idles and drives great. Is there any harm in doing this since the cars runs so well?

"No other man-made device since the shields and lances of the ancient knights fulfills a man's ego like an automobile." -Sir William

2011 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited- Black on black, ADTR sway bars, 19" Mustang GT rims, Heinous rear control arms, dual exhaust with Flowmaster 10 series mufflers. MHS Stage 2 heads/cams, 80mm MAF, 75mm BBK throttle body, Accufab plenum, Stainless Works long tube headers, Ford Racing 24# injectors. ADTR T56 swap with Hurst shifter. 264HP/298TQ at the rear wheels.

have you messed with the idle screw?

Did you reset the ECM after installing the new TPS?
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

No, idle screw wasn't touched. And how do you reset the ECM? I wasn't aware one had to do that with a TPS.

"No other man-made device since the shields and lances of the ancient knights fulfills a man's ego like an automobile." -Sir William

2011 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited- Black on black, ADTR sway bars, 19" Mustang GT rims, Heinous rear control arms, dual exhaust with Flowmaster 10 series mufflers. MHS Stage 2 heads/cams, 80mm MAF, 75mm BBK throttle body, Accufab plenum, Stainless Works long tube headers, Ford Racing 24# injectors. ADTR T56 swap with Hurst shifter. 264HP/298TQ at the rear wheels.

Comment

Any time a sensor is replaced you have to reset the ecm. The eccm needs to relearn for the new sensor.

Disconnect the battery.
        Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Just pull the cable? No waiting 2 hours or some BS?

Comment

Originally posted by HotRodLincoln View Post
            Just pull the cable? No waiting 2 hours or some BS?
            Yes, just disconnect the battery, take a swig of beer then reconnect it. It probably resets the ECM faster than you can blink.

Comment

I disconnected the battery, took a swig (and a shot ) and hooked it back up. Now the car idles fine, but it is a little lumpy, like it has a miss. I'll tackle that another day, now to finish that beer...

Comment

The computer may just be relearning everything..Mine always did that..but after a few days it would smooth out. Maybe you are experiencing the same thing after disconnecting the battery.
                ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by HotRodLincoln View Post
                  I think I may have found the source of my really high idle. I bought a new TPS sensor today, and when I screw it onto the TB, the revs shoot up, I'm guessing to around 2500-3k. I take it back off, but leave the wire connected, and the car idles like brand new. I screwed it on upside down so the little spinny thing inside doesn't touch the metal tab thingy on the TB and the car idles and drives great. Is there any harm in doing this since the cars runs so well?
                  You got the throttle blade caught on the TPS when you screwed it on.

Comment

?

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                    You got the throttle blade caught on the TPS when you screwed it on.
                    I assumed the TPS was supposed to catch on the throttle blade, that's how it appears to function the way I mentally dissected the setup.

Comment

Nope. I think it uses a magnet to sense where the throttle is located based on that thing that sticks up (it kinda looks like a screw driver bit). By catching the throttle blade, and tightening the TPS down, you are propping open the throttle, just like you had your foot on the gas pedal. To correct this problem, you can pull the throttle open by hand, or have another person step on the gas while you put the TPS on. With the engine off of course! When you tighten it down, release the gas pedal, and with your hand, ensure that the throttle is all the way back by pushing on it at the throttle body.

Comment

no, the tabs must catch on the throttle blade. If they don't, the TPS won't move and nothing works properly. No magnets involved, its just a volume control with a funky knob. Install with the throttle at idle position, rotate the tps until the screws line up. Should be roughly 1/4 turn.
                        Last edited by gadget73; 10-03-2009, 05:35 PM.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                        X