Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

running rich

my car 87 wag sefi 302 is running rich checked for codes and nothing but 11
    koeo and also did koer and no codes did normal check on vac lines ok volt readings are good on tps,iab,act,ect,map.pulled plugs and they are black fuel pressure is 32 filter was changed im just lost i dont want to buy parts i dont need can anything else be wrong or that i missed looking at

thanks

normal check on vac lines? i assume you used a little carb clean then. where are you reading the fuel pressure from? Schrader valve is not the pressure at the rails,its the pressure from the tank. I made that mistake.Your reading has to be at the reg. Test your regulator,you didnt say you checked the O2's.... Whats your timing at?
    [URL="http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3358314"]

Comment

The pressure at the schrader is the pressure the injectors are getting and the only place to check the fuel pressure.

Was the 32 with the vacuum on or off the regulator?

Fuel filters cause all kinds of neat problems. How's the vacuum to the MAP?
      Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

32 with the vacuum on

Comment

timing at 10 with connector off

Comment

Originally posted by Titanius Anglesmith View Post
            The pressure at the schrader is the pressure the injectors are getting and the only place to check the fuel pressure.

Was the 32 with the vacuum on or off the regulator?

Fuel filters cause all kinds of neat problems. How's the vacuum to the MAP?
            the schrader valve was where i had my gauge,adjusting my bbk reg didnt change the pressure on that gauge,and after getting a hold of a BBK tech assistant,the schrader valve is not where the pressure should be checked,it must be at the regulator.That was why originaly i was running rich. That was fixed. the schrader valve is pressure from the tank. Its a quick way of testing the pump output. I had 38psi from there,but the regulator was set incorrectly.
            Any recent work on the car that could have caused an over rich condition? If you have a vacuum gauge/hand pump you can test the vacumm on the reg. Is there gas in the oil? could be a leak on the lower manifold,and bleed down into the lifter valley(vacuum leak as well).Then the cylinders wash down with gas,piston rings go,finally the bearings. This would be the "worst case scenario" I would run a scan again too,to see if anything pops up.
            [URL="http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3358314"]

Comment

How many inches of vacuum do you get at the MAP sensor? What about on another line? Need to make sure MAP gets at least 17 at idle for it to be happy with life. If the line is collapsed or has some other funky problem, it will give you trouble. Could also be a dead MAP, but I would check the vacuum levels first before suspecting that. Also, how rich is rich, like huffing black smoke and barely running, or slightly rough idle ?
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

slightly rough idle

Comment

Originally posted by ironstealth View Post
                  the schrader valve was where i had my gauge,adjusting my bbk reg didnt change the pressure on that gauge,and after getting a hold of a BBK tech assistant,the schrader valve is not where the pressure should be checked,it must be at the regulator.That was why originaly i was running rich. That was fixed. the schrader valve is pressure from the tank. Its a quick way of testing the pump output. I had 38psi from there,but the regulator was set incorrectly.
                  Any recent work on the car that could have caused an over rich condition? If you have a vacuum gauge/hand pump you can test the vacumm on the reg. Is there gas in the oil? could be a leak on the lower manifold,and bleed down into the lifter valley(vacuum leak as well).Then the cylinders wash down with gas,piston rings go,finally the bearings. This would be the "worst case scenario" I would run a scan again too,to see if anything pops up.
                  how exactly do you check the fuel pressure directly at the fuel pressure regulator?

the idea is the fuel rail gets direct pressure from the fuel pump and the pressure is distributed evenly accross the fuel rail, there for the fuel pressure at the scheader valve should be the same at the pressure regulator.
                  2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
                  89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
                  88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

There is no pressure test port at the regulator. The only test point is the test point, and it does indeed work like 88grandmarq says. If its wrong at the test point, its wrong elsewhere on the rail. The fuel system is basically a loop, tank > pump > rail > regulator > tank. The regulator sits between the outlet side of the rail and the tank and serves as a calibrated restriction. The entire fuel system from the pump to the regulator operates at the same pressure because its held there by the regulator.
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

got 20 inches of vacuum at map and this thing still runs rich tps is set at .98 volts new iac new ect changed fuel filter and it still runs rich timing is set at 10 with connector off
                      when i start car it starts right up no problem when i drive it it runs ok then it stutters a little pinging and give gas then runs like a bat out of hell shifts and then when its up to temp the idle surges when at a light have to throw it in nuetral so it wont die then when i park and restart its flooded wont start just cranks till i let it sit for a while so im lost no codes just 11.i got inspection coming up next month so any help on this

thanks

Comment

Pull the plugs, see if one is black or wet. if it is, you have a bad injector.

Comment

Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS)

The computer uses the VSS signal for emmisions contol programs and speed limiters. The emmisions programing can cause a manual transmission vehicle to stall out while decelerating if no VSS is used.
                          well after reading this i changed the Vehicle Speed Sensor the wires were caked up with crap,oil and anything else and no more problem every thing is running good now i guess you should check everything before buying and replacing. this worked for me so i hope it will work for anyone else

thanks for all the input from you guys

Comment

Working...
                          X