85 vic won't start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

85 vic won't start

hi i have my dads 85 vic police and it wont start. It will turn over great run for a sec then die. When it does start it won't even get the RPM's over 400 before it dies. After it dies it will still crank over so its not losing all power. No matter how long i crank after it dies it will not start agine. I can hear a relay click when i first start cranking then when it dies. Its the relay on the passenger side finder. I don't have the same relay on my merc or my bronco i have here so i can't just swap it out. Any ideas what else it could be.
    1979 lincoln versailis, ford test ordered car, factory floor shift with bucket seats.
    1983 lincoln mark VI, all factory
    2015 Mustang GT 50yrs SHERROD, 6 speed 302, track pack, premium package, Custom JL sound system.

302 or 351 car? Totally different setup, so its hard to troubleshoot without that.

Still, its gonna come back to fuel or spark. Which do you not have? A snort of starting fluid through the carb or throttle body will tell you if its a fuel problem. If it runs on the ether, then you don't have fuel. If it doesn't run on ether, check for spark because you likely don't have any or enough. The actual cause will depend on what motor is there, VV and Duraspark vs CFI and TFI ignition.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

sounds like a fuel issue
      Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

In his sig...

85 ltd police, 351w, performer 351w intake, 670 street avenger carb, headers and H-pipe with mufflers in trunk ready to be put on

I was thinking fuel but I had a '79 F-150 that did that and it turned out to be the duraspark box.
        1990 LTD Crown Vic w/ dead 5.0
        1984 Pontiac 6000 cammed 2.5L Iron Duke
        1986 F-150 300 6cyl 5spd.
        1994 Crown Vic... Free, bad trans?

Comment

it is getting fuel, i even dumped gas straight down the carb. i also changed the coil. So i'm going to change the box tonight.
          1979 lincoln versailis, ford test ordered car, factory floor shift with bucket seats.
          2015 Mustang GT 50yrs SHERROD, 6 speed 302, track pack, premium package, Custom JL sound system.

Comment

Remind me, what are you running for an ignition system?
            2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Check the pickup in the dist as well, that will cause similar.
              1990 LTD Crown Vic w/ dead 5.0
              1984 Pontiac 6000 cammed 2.5L Iron Duke
              1986 F-150 300 6cyl 5spd.
              1994 Crown Vic... Free, bad trans?

Comment

i went and paid for the ign control mod (that things $41) i will be picking it up today after i get off work. it has the factory system it had when it came out, what that is im not to sure but i do know the box is diff from my merc and my bronco. Plugs don't match.

Comment

Working...
                X