Idle over heat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Idle over heat

My car begins to overheat when I am at a stop light or drive thru. It's a 1988 lincoln town car so the temp guage gets to about the O in NORMAL. It dosent get hot while I'm driving just when I'm stopped. It will also cool down while at a drive thru or stop if I give it a little gas wether I slip it into neutral or with my foot on the brake. Could this be the fan clutch? I couldn't see it being the pump and the radiator is brand new.

im no pro but when my bro and i changed the fan clutch on his 90 cv it helped. the only way to know if the fan clutch is bad, in my noob experience was, if you could spin the fan with a light tap of your finger with the engine off then your clutch is bad.
    if its tight then it shouldnt spin freely. check that out. im sure some pros will give you more precise answers.

-leo
    sigpic
    67 Ltd tudor
    67 Ltd 4door
    85 Ltd 4door

Comment

replace the fan clutch

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by Lincolnmania View Post
        replace the fan clutch
        wiith an electric fan...
        '88 Colony Park, white with wood grain contact paper, K code axle, hose pliers on heater hoses, factory duals, big plans in the future...

'83 Toyota 4x4, 31x10.50 15, could use a new carb, custom humidifying holes in the roof, mud based paint...

Comment

With a new fan clutch. elec fans offer no advantage other then more wiring and added load for the alternator.
          1990 LTD Crown Vic w/ dead 5.0
          1984 Pontiac 6000 cammed 2.5L Iron Duke
          1986 F-150 300 6cyl 5spd.
          1994 Crown Vic... Free, bad trans?

Comment

electric fans draw less than 1hp (through the alternator) while engine driven fans draw 10-25 hp. i see a bigger advantage than "no advantage" there, other than maybe initial cost.
            '88 Colony Park, white with wood grain contact paper, K code axle, hose pliers on heater hoses, factory duals, big plans in the future...

'83 Toyota 4x4, 31x10.50 15, could use a new carb, custom humidifying holes in the roof, mud based paint...

Comment

Ok if I go electric what do you recomend to use. If a junkyard part then from what vehicle, or a new fan what the best bang for my buck.

Comment

If you want to keep things simple and cheap, just replace the fan clutch. The electric fan installation is a bit of an investment.

Comment

Originally posted by ss_mini14 View Post
                  electric fans draw less than 1hp (through the alternator) while engine driven fans draw 10-25 hp. i see a bigger advantage than "no advantage" there, other than maybe initial cost.
                  And if you grab the clutch fan off of a early 80's F-250 with say a 400 I don't think I have ever found an electric fan that can come close to the amout of air clutch fans move. Besides, they only really draw power when the clutch locks up anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by taylorendicott View Post
                    Ok if I go electric what do you recomend to use. If a junkyard part then from what vehicle, or a new fan what the best bang for my buck.
                    the taurus fan is good,but I've heard the Mark-8 fan is better.
                    [URL="http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3358314"]

Comment

I can get a mark 8 fan... How dose evrybody feel about that?

Comment

you know, truthfully I'm becoming less and less impressed with the whole electric fan thing. I have one, and it cools the car OK but it rattles, puts a hell of a load on my electrical system, kicks in and out every time the AC compressor grabs, and makes annoying noises because I can't keep it from hitting the radiator due to the way its been shaved for clearance with the 3 row. More and more I consider putting a standard clutch fan back on the car and being done with it. The electric did not get me any fuel economy, and I've not noticed any other gains since installing it.

And yes, clutch fans don't use a lot of power when they are disengaged. At idle, yeah they eat power but who cares about hp usage at idle?

If you are going electric fan, you'd best have a 130 amp alternator. You will destroy the stock 65 amp unit in extremely short order.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Can I just buy and install a 130amp or is that part of that 3g upgrade? And is that worth the time?

Comment

The alt upgrade IS worth the time.

Comment

I ran a proform electric fan for a few weeks with the stock 65amp alternator, but then it blew up. You have to do the 3G alternator upgrade if you want to run an electric fan. I am running a taurus fan with a single core radiator and no AC condensor and its still kinda tight. Easiest thing to do is replace the clutch
                              1989 Lincoln Town Car - "Anabelle" - Original block, .030 over with SpeedPro pistons, rods fitted with ARP hardware, FRPP +volume oil pump, GT-40 3bar heads, Crane 1.72 rockers, 89' Fox cam, 93' Cobra lower intake, Explorer upper and 65mm TB, 93' Lightning EGR spacer, K&N intake kit from a 4.0L Ranger, 19lb/hr injectors w/ 87 Mark VII ECM, cat/smog deletes, Big Brake conversion, 3.55 K-Code Trac-Lok/Disc brake rear axle, CVPI LCA's w/1" sway bar in rear, wagon front sway bar, BBK 2.5" off-road H-Pipe, Flowmaster super 40s, HPP wheels, 3G alternator w/LMR.com wiring kit, gear reduction starter conversion, Best 1/4 time: 16.0 @ 85mph.

Comment

Working...
                              X