Cam Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cam Question

What cam do you guys recommend i use for the engine build im going to be doing?
    2018 F150 XLT 43k
    1970 Buick GS 455 Stage 1 44k
    1968 Buick Riviera

Well, with the information thus far provided in this thread, I can definitely say you want one with lobes on it

Exactly what are you planning to build, and using what parts?
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Right now all I got together is a set of .040 pistons with moly rings, stock E7 heads from a 89 mustang gt along with the upper and lower intakes.
      2018 F150 XLT 43k
      1968 Buick Riviera

Comment

Stock HO cam then, or an Explorer cam.
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Whats good as far as a timing set? I thinking either a edlebrock timing set model 7814 or 7811, ford racing M-6268-B302 (i dont think i can use this one), comp cams 2120, 2138, 3230. I seen others on summit that i like but im not sure about which yet
          2018 F150 XLT 43k
          1968 Buick Riviera

Comment

Stock double roller. I've had good luck with Cloyes brand stuff. Usually under 30 bucks at any parts store. If you're putting together what amounts to a stock HO, you don't need exotic parts to do it. You'd be far better off spending that extra money on better heads, or work to the E7 heads you have.

Comment

Ill probably just pick up one of the edlebrock ones through summit.
              Last edited by mikeroc283; 10-13-2009, 07:45 PM.
              2018 F150 XLT 43k
              1968 Buick Riviera

Comment

As for the rockers What do you mangs recommend?
                2018 F150 XLT 43k
                1968 Buick Riviera

Comment

stock or any decent quality 1.7 rocker. No Proform or other Chinese parts though. The Crane Cobras are nice, and they fit under most valve covers. I also have a set of Scorpions that look really nice, though I haven't installed them on anything. Used should be fine, but again, save your money here and put it into the heads and intake if at all possible. Far more gails to be had there than with rockers and fancy timing chains.

Comment

Cant use 1.6 roller rockers?
                    2018 F150 XLT 43k
                    1968 Buick Riviera

Comment

whats with you guys flaming mustangs, but your putting all of their stock crap on your cars? why not go with something proven like a kit from holley *(systemax) for example?

just my .02

F303 + n2o = 11.81@114
                      [URL="http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3358314"]

Comment

Originally posted by mikeroc283 View Post
                        Cant use 1.6 roller rockers?
                        Stock are 1.6. If you're buying aftermarket, might as well get some 1.7's for a little more effective lift. If you want to run 1.6, honestly I'd probably just save the pennies and run stock rockers. Heck, I'd run stock rockers on better heads if it allowed me to purchase them. ROckers you can change easily once the motor is together, heads are a lot more involved.

Originally posted by ironstealth View Post
                        whats with you guys flaming mustangs, but your putting all of their stock crap on your cars? why not go with something proven like a kit from holley *(systemax) for example?

just my .02

F303 + n2o = 11.81@114
                        He's got stock heads and intake, which basically suck. My list of suggested parts would be very different if not for those stock heads and stock intake. Something with real heads and a good intake would be a hell of a lot of fun. I've actually tossed around the idea of building a "real" motor myself, just for S&G, though I'm kind of pinching pennies with the goal of moving into my own place at the moment. I'd rather have a slow car and my own gig than the fastest Panther parked in my mom's driveway.

As for flaming Mustangs, the reason I don't like them is they're small, uncomfortable, and have horrible suspension. I have never said a bad word about the driveline, though despite its thoroughly decent and reliable performace, in stock form its not all that spectacular, though its a hell of a lot better than the garbage we got from the factory.
                        Last edited by gadget73; 10-14-2009, 05:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X