Noisey engine accessories?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1990LTD View Post
    I don't know why I read it that way the first time. No sleep will do that I guess

What does the smog pump share the belt with? How many friggin' belts are down there, anyway?
    Two belts.
    The "front" belt carries the important stuff: waterpump/power steering/alternator.
    The belt behind it runs the A/C and smog pump. That's why it's common to read "de-smogged" and A/C delete in the same topic a lot.
    Former panther owner
    1981 CV 351 4bbl
    1991 CV 302 EFI

Comment

Well my random weird noises haven't come back even in the cold. But it has been replaced by one of the belts squeaking. Ugh.
      2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
      2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
      2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
      1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

If I don't need AC either, can that belt just come off and then neither the smog pump or ac will run? will this just kill the AC or will other hvac controls be dead as well?

sorry for the n00b questions..
        sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

I've had that belt off for a while now......but I have manual heater controls...
          Former panther owner
          1981 CV 351 4bbl
          1991 CV 302 EFI

Comment

yeah I don't have automatic climate anything. Sliders.

sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

I'm guessing it will be fine, I don't know what else manual heat could be other than what's in my car. As long as heat still works and my rear window still defrosts, I'll be happy. Do I need to do anything besides pull the belt off?
              sigpic

Comment

removing the belt if you don't have working AC won't break anything. It has nothing to do with the climate control functions, it just won't make cold air in the summer.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The smog/AC belt just came off and it sounds much nicer. Mechanic warned me that taking the belt off for a long while might give the AC or smog pump the chance to seize up, but I don't see myself wanting either of those things. Opening the window works great on hot days
                  sigpic

Comment

something that ford really fucked up on with these cars is they used serpentine belts, but they did not use automatic tensioners....it is common to have to tighten the belts again after a week or so after instalation......if unsure about the age or the mileage of the belt, replace it.....cheap insurance, belt cheaper than tow truck

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

It'll still blow cool air on full cold, yeah? Since you said it has nothing to do with climate control, I'm assuming yes.

Anyway, took the belt off of there. All seems well, but now that the belt is off and the smog pump and AC compressor are superfluous, they're bugging me If I'm removing them, what is the best way to cap any lines? My plan is basically to sever any lines going to either accessory, and seal them - I just am not aware of the best method to cap the lines.
                      sigpic

Comment

it blows outside temperature air on full cold, so depending how hot it is, it may or may not blow cold.

I chased the lines back to the control solenoids on the fender and removed vacuum from them there. I cut the rubber connectors in half and just put vacuum caps on the bottom solenoids. I also cut the lines at the 4 tube rubber connector that hangs in space between the motor and the fender. Looks somewhat cleaner without the extra lines in there.
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Ah, okay, that makes sense on paper, but I don't know what the rubber connectors are that you're talking about. I've never even contemplated the AC or the smog pump in my car until I started reading about deleting them so I don't have a friggin' clue how many (or what) lines are running there... I'm at work now so I can't run out and look at it, unfortunately. It will likely make much more sense when I'm standing over it, tracing lines. Though, like I said, I don't know how the fuck to cap a line. I understand how (plugging the hole, duh) but what to plug it with and how to seal it is what's confusing me.

I don't know why it didn't occur to me that I could cut the lines off at the source instead of at/near the pump. Thanks.
                          sigpic

Comment

When you look at it, it makes more sense.

Also, my weird alien-space-ship sound has returned It only does it when the engines cold and it's cold outside, and it takes about 5 seconds after the car starts to do it. I'm sure it's the A/C or smog pump, but I'm not sure which.
                            2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                            2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                            2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                            1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Originally posted by 1990LTD View Post
                              Ah, okay, that makes sense on paper, but I don't know what the rubber connectors are that you're talking about.

If you look at where the lines go, you'll see what i'm talking about.

panetera77: smog pump. I had the same noise, ditched the pump and it went away.

Comment

Working...
                              X