X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel regulator

Yo fellas,

Noob question here,

what are the effects of the fuel regulator malfunctioning?

again a noob question

I ask because my mpg has gone down considerably

I replaced the :

fuel filter &
    fuel pump -pump failed (mechanic replaced)
    its properly timed
    plugs/wires/dizz/tfi mod/rotor
    have all been replaced
    1990 EFI Crown Vic Lx sigpic
    1964 Lincoln Continental (not running)
    1963 Lincoln Continental (running)
    1995 Honda Accord(Stolen)

First off, did they just start running a different blend of gasoline in your area? If you're in CA, they probably didn't just switch to a winter blend like they do in other places, but if they just started running 10% ethanol in the gasoline, your mileage will have gone down significantly, and there isn't much you can do about it.

Very easy to check. Get a fuel pressure gauge and a hand vacuum pump, which will run you about $25 at Harbor Freight. Hook the fuel pressure gauge up, and hook the vacuum pump to the vacuum nipple on the regulator. Jump the fuel pump connector on the self test connector (see below) to ground, and then apply vacuum to the FPR. If the pressure on your gauge goes down, you're good.

Originally posted by gadget73
    There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
    91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
    93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
    Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
    Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
    95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

yup, just check the pressure. I'd also pop the vacuum line off and make sure its not squirting fuel directly into the vac line. Not super common, but it has happened. Usually the car would be running noticeably wierd, rough idle, black smoke, stuff like that if it was dumping too much fuel. Might also want to check out your other vacuum lines, as these cars are real cranky about the vacuum system.

Is your car one of those odd mass air California models? May want to try cleaning the MAF if so.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

alright, thnx for the advice

checked the vacume lines an it checks out, an yep its one of those MAF ca models.
        1990 EFI Crown Vic Lx sigpic
        1964 Lincoln Continental (not running)
        1963 Lincoln Continental (running)
        1995 Honda Accord(Stolen)

Comment

Working...
        X