What headers do I need???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What headers do I need???

Hello everyone I was wondering what set of headers do I need for a 85 grand marq 302 with the O2 sensor in the pass side. I was thinking pony headers but not sure.

Thanks Justin

your thinking would be correct, I believe. I haven't upgraded the headers on my 5.0 but I have been told stock Mustang shorties are the best stock replacement.
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

You can use stock H.O. Headers but they do not have an o2 bung in them so you will need to order an o2 bung off evilbay and weld it into your exhaust pipe shortly after the header collector.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
      Big plans

Comment

i have 2 sets up for sale if you loook in classfieds
        sigpic
        1986 Crown Victoria 302 Cold Air,Mac Shorty headers, Full Dual Exhaust with Super Forty Flows, Wagon Suspension with a Full Sound System Replacement 1/4 time 17.486 @ 77.43mph

Comment

Is there any headers that have the 02 bug in it??? I can get headers out of summit for 100.00 bucks shortys. I will probalay have the machine shop make a O2 bug in it.

Comment

None that I know of. Usually the sensor gets relocated to the exhaust pipe just below the header collector, not in the header itself.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

what I did was just buy 2 o2 bungs from summit racing for like 10 buxs and find a friend with a welder and just zap it on to the down pipe. That what I did and it worked perfect.
              sigpic
              1986 Crown Victoria 302 Cold Air,Mac Shorty headers, Full Dual Exhaust with Super Forty Flows, Wagon Suspension with a Full Sound System Replacement 1/4 time 17.486 @ 77.43mph

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                None that I know of. Usually the sensor gets relocated to the exhaust pipe just below the header collector, not in the header itself.
                There wouldnt be any problem with installing the o2's in the header would there? Because that is what i will most likely do.
                ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

If you can get it in there at the collector, it'll work. Its just not terribly easy to add it right there since there are 4 tubes all welded together at the flange. You also want the sensor in the collector itself so it measures the whole bank, not just one cylinder. Adding it downstream of the collector is mostly done simply because its easy, and not really for any other reason.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

mine is actually in the collector area as I was in a hurry and didnt have a flange and piece-o-pipe to weld it to when I did it, but on my old on I had it was in the exhaust after the collector doesnt seem to make much diff to me

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                    Big plans

Comment

Working...
                    X