number of cylinders?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

number of cylinders?

ok so i got E7 heads for $50 that are in great shape so i plan on putting them on until i get the fuelinjectors and mark7 computer. but i exactly dont know whats the number of each cylinder, but i think that this is it :

8 7
    6 engine 5
    4 3
    2 1

this is facing the engine. ok now how exactly do i remove the heads is there any good full length videos i should watch?

Sitting inside the car on the drivers side, 5678, on the passenger side 1234. Closest to front of car is 1 and 5.

Comment

If I confused you...

4 8
      3 7
      2 6
      1 5
      -v-
      (front of Vehicle = -v-)

Comment

also marked on the lower intake runners..
        Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by LTDMike View Post
          ok so i got E7 heads for $50 that are in great shape so i plan on putting them on until i get the fuelinjectors and mark7 computer. but i exactly dont know whats the number of each cylinder, but i think that this is it :

8 7
          6 engine 5
          4 3
          2 1

this is facing the engine. ok now how exactly do i remove the heads is there any good full length videos i should watch?
          Damn Chevy owner, lol.

Pick up this book:

"How to rebuild small-block Ford engines, and bang your neighbor's wife"

It's at any Barnes and Noble, or maybe even your local auto parts shop. Aside from the Casanova information, it's not a bad book for the beginning Ford engine rebuilder.

good luck sir....you're going to need it.

Comment

Not to sound like too much of a tool, but I'll agree on suggesting you read up on engine rebuilds before getting into this. If you have to ask how to remove the cylinder heads, you probably aren't going to be able to deal with whatever problems that you're going to run into along the way.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Well I do have the repair manual and I just bought a ford engine build book, I've been watching videos on removing them. I have a pretty good idea on how to do it. I just want to know if there's any tricks to it.

Also first I'm just goin to install the heads then later on put in the camshaft. Will it affect the car? And do I need to change the firing order to an HO firing order?

Thanks!!

Comment

NO if you are just installing the heads you do not want to change the firing order. Only when you install the camshaft along with the computer you will want to change the spark plug wires around.
                ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I'd honestly do the cam and heads in one shot, just so you don't have to remove the intake twice. If you do the cam, plan on a water pump, timing chain, the bypass hose, and the pump to pipe water hose at a minimum, probably also a lower radiator hose and I'd be hanging a thermostat, upper hose, and both heater hoses on there as well if those parts aren't recent.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

ok so ive read up on alot of things, mind as well change the cam since in changing the heads but heres the thing i know when changing the cam u need to use a magnets in place from the pushrods to hold the lifter n things. So if i remove the heads can I change the cam with the heads off? ( u know just by pulling it out)

Then after changing the cam and then put in the heads, then put in the pushrods and adjust the rockers and cant forget to find the top dead center in the valve lash

Comment

Originally posted by LTDMike View Post
                      ok so ive read up on alot of things, mind as well change the cam since in changing the heads but heres the thing i know when changing the cam u need to use a magnets in place from the pushrods to hold the lifter n things. So if i remove the heads can I change the cam with the heads off? ( u know just by pulling it out)

Then after changing the cam and then put in the heads, then put in the pushrods and adjust the rockers and cant forget to find the top dead center in the valve lash
                      No magnets involved

you will be pulling the pushrods, spider, dogbones and lifters when you remove the heads. the lifters will come out before you pull the old camshaft.. I recommend trying to replace everything in the same order they came out..
                      Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

Factory HR lifters can be removed with the heads in place. With your fingers.
                        2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

So when I remove the heads, I could just change the cam then just put on the heads and adjust them?

Comment

Adjust what?

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
                            1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
                            But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

Sorry, the valve lash

Comment

Working...
                              X