Transgo shift kit - hole "F"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transgo shift kit - hole "F"

Aight folks, I'm working on a late ('89-'92) AOD, and I need some help with it - I put in the shift kit like always, and took her for a test drive, all is good except on the 4-3 downshift after she drops out of OD she goes into neutral for a second before the 3rd engages. The instructions mention possible engine flare on the 4-3 downshift, and Eric confirmed this is what I'm experiencing indeed. Now, the instructions say in case of engine flare on the 4-3 downshift, to drill out hole "F" - simple enough, larger hole means more fluid flow, resulting in faster engagement of whatever hole "F" is responsible for. Except one minor detail - nowhere on the separator plate diagram is any hole marked with "F". There are B, C, E, K, and X (which in my case is actually a slot), no F tho. I just watched the video for the AOD-HP kit, and now I'm able to identify two more holes as A and T, but still no F. So I'm drawing a blank on that, how am I supposed to drill out a hole that I can't identify? Anyone else ran into this issue? This is the only late-style VB that I've worked on, everything else has been '88 and early, and I never had any issues with those... I'm suspecting the flare issue has something to do with the fact the '89-up VBs don't use the big accumulator piston in the front corner of the transmission case, any thoughts on that?

Leading provider of high performance automatic transmissions, torque converters and drivetrain components for race, street/strip, hot rod, street rod and towing

???
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

How the hell did you find this? Lol, thanks a bunch man, that makes life a whole lot easier. But now I found something that bugs me, it says on the bottom of the page:

"This kit contains two different lower valve body gaskets.

The valve body gasket with the double white stripe is for 1980 -1989 units only.

The valve body gasket with the red stripe is for 1990 & up units only.

Do not mix these gaskets as this may reduce throttle pressure boost and cause transmission failure!"

And guess what kind of gasket does the Transgo kit come with... yeps, double-white striped, for '80-'89 VBs...

Comment

I just typed "hole F on ford separator plates" in google search bar.

But yeah....transmission failure...not good.
        ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Alright, it gets better, comparing David's diagram to the one in the Transgo video, the B-holes match, but that's it:
          - Transgo's A is TCI's G
          - Transgo's E is TCI's C
          - Transgo's K is TCI's D
          - Transgo's C is not labeled in TCI's kit
          - Transgo's T is not labeled in TCI's kit
          - TCI's A is not labeled in Transgo's kit
          - TCI's E is not labeled in Transgo's kit
          - TCI's F is not labeled in Transgo's kit
          - TCI's H is not labeled in Transgo's kit

All I have to say is oh shit!

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
            I just typed "hole F on ford separator plates" in google search bar.
            I think you typed "hole F on AOD separator plates"

Comment

The only thin i can think of is that these are two different manufacturers??Maybe their diagrams and their labeling are different?
              ~David~

Comment

There are actually four manufacturers - Transgo, TCI, B&M, and Art Carr.

Comment

the more the merrier i guess.
                  ~David~

Comment

Besides fluid and filter changes, this is why i wont modify an auto trans myself. All the springs and screws would probably not find their way back in. OH NO!! PLO!! (Parts Left Over) LOL

2011 Grand Marquis LS Ultimate Edition
                    Dual Exhaust w/ AP XLerator mufflers and 3 1/2" tips, Eibach 1" rear sway bar, Pioneer Head unit and speakers, 17X8 Drag DR-72 wheels

RIP 1984 2Dr Crown Vic "The Millennium Falcon"
                    Carbed 5.0 HO w/nitrous , Performer RPM intake, GT40P heads, E303 cam, FRP Shorties, FRP 9mm plug wires, Off-Road H-pipe, Magnaflow round mufflers, 2000 rpm stall
                    NA-15.78@91.21, 80hp shot-14.48@96.21

Comment

I did mine and it wasnt tough to do. It looks intimidating but its not.
                      ~David~

Comment

You got me. My best suggestion is to try clickclickracing for info, some of the guys over there are AOD gurus. Hey if you get this fixed, you're welcome to try and fix the same thing on my Mark.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thain, do you have a kit in your AOD? The factory-set VB on this one worked just fine, it's only after I put the kit in that it started acting up.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                            I did mine and it wasnt tough to do. It looks intimidating but its not.
                            It looks freaking terrifying. Then again, I don't really know what a shift kit is good for on an auto...just make shifts quicker?
                            sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

quicker and firmer shifts (both up and down), WOT in OD, improved lube of rear shaft bushing, better pressure rise... good things like that

Comment

Working...
                              X