Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quick top end swap - opinions/info anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks, I was considering cutting a slice out of the block or getting some plate steel and cutting one out.

Guess head gaskets are out this week, no one has the bolts in stock or the throttle body gaskets (speed shop has ARP studs, I don't have the money to blow right now).
    '90 Mustang GT vert
    '89 GM - 189K & rising
    '07 Daytona - cuz i don't have enough money to build a car this quick

Comment

yeah just flip the plates over. Really nice solution is the 5/8 bolt but chances are you'll never get it threaded in there. The threads are already cut, but likely packed so full of garbage you'd never know it. The flipped plate solution works, and is basically free. Much easier than fighting with a tap at any rate.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Well, I got absolutely nothing done with the car this weekend.
        On the way to work, smoke was rollin out the back on the driver's side again, not sure what thats about, it was comin out the hood when I got there as usual. On the way home, nothing, park the car, pop the hood, not even a haze.
        So I dunno whats up with it, but it was nice enough to roll the bike out when I got back and I remembered why I bought it again. I also remembered why I don't think I'll ever own a car thats quick enough.
        '90 Mustang GT vert
        '89 GM - 189K & rising

Comment

Originally posted by jklnhd View Post
          *Note: local boneyard has '89 351 cop car and '90 CV/LX, got tomorrow off (work shut down for the day), gonna see if I can get a deal on some little stuff (dash pad, hangers for dual exhaust, headlight switches, oil cooler, possibly trans cooler, how hard is it to install a spot light?)
          The spotlight is pretty easy. I may have a few extra mounts/ light parts laying around. I put one on my '88, one on my '90, one on my Dad's '99, and I sold one to a member here. I still have some stuff left, though, if you're missing parts.

Where in CT are you? You mentioned Vernon in another thread...

I live in South Windsor, northeast of Hartford. If you're from that area, you may have seen my bright red '90 P72, or my previous dark blue '88 P72. Or maybe the purple truck in the sig.
          **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
          **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
          **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
          **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Guess head gaskets are out this week, no one has the bolts in stock or the throttle body gaskets (speed shop has ARP studs, I don't have the money to blow right now).
            What's wrong with your current head bolts? Someone didn't swap in a set of torque-to-yield bolts at some point, did they?
            2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

I'm actually right next door more or less, moved here to Ellington about 2 years ago.
              I do believe I've seen the bright red '90. I was at the light by Vernon P.D. and there was one in front of me, I'd say probably about a year ago give or take. Only bright red one I can remember seeing, had a bit of a rumble as I recall. Don't know if my memory is messin with me or what, but I think there may have been a tach mounted on the dash and a P.I. badge on the trunk.

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
              What's wrong with your current head bolts? Someone didn't swap in a set of torque-to-yield bolts at some point, did they?
              I got in the habit of new bolts from misspent days playing with Honda's (they're kinda fun, I gotta say). When I did the gaskets on my 3.8, they said get new ones ("they" being the book, the book being little more than a guide to torque specs).
              '90 Mustang GT vert
              '89 GM - 189K & rising

Comment

I'm actually right next door more or less, moved here to Ellington about 2 years ago.
                I do believe I've seen the bright red '90. I was at the light by Vernon P.D. and there was one in front of me, I'd say probably about a year ago give or take. Only bright red one I can remember seeing, had a bit of a rumble as I recall. Don't know if my memory is messin with me or what, but I think there may have been a tach mounted on the dash and a P.I. badge on the trunk
                Yeah, that would have been me.

Probably coming from my parts connection up on rte. 30 in Vernon.

Its had a few different looks:

Chargers are alright.

You may have seen my buddy's orange '08 Daytona, or his purple '07 Daytona:

Billions of happy photos, millions of passionate customers. Gorgeous online photo albums. Protect your priceless memories. Buy beautiful prints & gifts.

He also has an '09 Challenger. Incidentally, he used to own the truck in my sig, as well.
                **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

I wouldn't recycle the head bolts either. I've seen a few cases where the stockers have snapped in a complete engine, and I've broken old head bolts before on Chevys. Bolts are too cheap to recycle for all the BS you have to go through if one breaks.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

You still have the car? Is that the stock color? I remember tellin my Dad about it when he still lived up here, he was askin if it was for sale, lol
                    I gotta say, the exhaust on that looks flat out sick. Not too big, not too small, placement, all that stuff. I dunno, I like details like that, you know, when its right its just right.

I didn't see the rims though, being behind the car of course. I was probably in the Civic, bright blue (Electron Blue Pearl) 2000 Si, it was quiet, not ricey, mostly internal mods (low 14's). I was into rice burners for a while, still kinda like em, but I also like big squishy seats.
                    '90 Mustang GT vert
                    '89 GM - 189K & rising

Comment

Working...
                    X