Shaky Front End

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shaky Front End

I've recently noticed when i go over 45mph or when Im on the expressway doing about 70-75mph my steering wheel shakes, and I can feel something vibrating on the froint end..Feels like one of the tires is bouncing...?

check your tires!
    first how old are they? as they get older, the chances of the cord seperating from the belt increases......this causes the tire to become out of round

check the tread for even wear, cupping will cause vibrations

if the tires are less than 5 yrs old and they appear to be ok, have them balanced

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Thanks Scott...

I put them on last september....But have rotated them recently...The tred wear is not even at all on the front tires....one of the front tires has little tred left from burnouts and slipping through snow last winter. I just took them to the tire shop not to long ago to have the rims sealed as they began to leak...But I don't remember if they balanced them.

Could one have a broken belt from hitting pot holes or something?

Comment

yeah, could be a lumpy tire. Jack the car up and spin the tire. If its real bad, you'll see the flat spot or the lump.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

tire could be messed up from dismounting/mounting a used tire when the stuff was cleaned off the wheels......jack it up and spin the wheel by hand and take a look at the tire

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Thanks guys....Will Do....I gotta get my Oil change done as well..LOL

Comment

Have the wheel bearings checked as well.
              '79 Continental Town Car
              '90 Crown Victoria LTD
              '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

yeah its a Crown Vic, they do that...

I get hood shake, it comes & goes, I find its best to just ignore it.
                '90 Mustang GT vert
                '89 GM - 189K & rising
                '07 Daytona - cuz i don't have enough money to build a car this quick

Comment

the hood shake is kind of normal, but steering wheel shake is not. The hood can be adjusted by tweaking the bumpers at the corners of the rad support, but mostly its just a flat flimsy piece of steel that bends and wobbles as the air runs across it.
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Welp thanks for the input guys..I found the culpret...The rear passenger tire has a broken belt in it...But I don't think thats the issue with the front end..So im going to have them ballance all four tires when they put the new one on.....

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                      the hood shake is kind of normal, but steering wheel shake is not. The hood can be adjusted by tweaking the bumpers at the corners of the rad support, but mostly its just a flat flimsy piece of steel that bends and wobbles as the air runs across it.
                      Not to thread jack or anything, but I found whats making the car shake (primarily), including the hood. I took a different way to work, drove the same way I usually do, no shake. I took the normal way home, happened to get in a little traffic and noticed the freshly paved highway is all kinds of bumpy.
                      '90 Mustang GT vert
                      '89 GM - 189K & rising

Comment

well, yeah shit roads will make things shake a lot too. Accurate diagnosis requires ruling out bad road surface

Comment

After driving a Fox body and a Civic for 3 years, I don't notice the bumps in the Merc.
                          '90 Mustang GT vert
                          '89 GM - 189K & rising

Comment

Working...
                          X