Lights Issue - Again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lights Issue - Again

ok, so i got an 85 MGM. My Fiance and I have been workin on it for a little over a month straight. Well the other day, well night actually, i fired it up and was letting it warm up, turned the running lights on and noticed the dash was awful dim, checked the adjustment knob and it was all the way up, then i turned the lights on and everything got dimmer...well i gave it some gas and everything came to life. Brighter than before...but i have a new battery and new-ish alternator....however the next day i put a new starter wire and battery terminals on and when i put the wires back on the positive post of the Solenoid it fell off in pieces into my hands. So could that be the issue or should i be execting to have to get a new alt?
    1985 Mercury Grand Marquis Sedan
    *A Family Affair*
    sigpic

The electrical path from the + side of the battery on these cars to most everything goes through the starter solenoid on the fender. If there's a crappy connection there, it'll probably mess all kinds of stuff up.

On a separate note, you should upgrade your alternator to a 3g one. The stock 65 amp alternators are fire hazards. Sniff around in the electrical forum and you'll learn all kinds of good stuff about it.
    Originally posted by gadget73
    There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
    91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
    93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
    Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
    Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
    95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

yeah, the post that fell apart is very probably an issue. Replace the solenoid and see if that doesn't fix it. As mentioned, the entire electrical system conencts together at that spot.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Since it sounds like either of the two, and that stock 2g alt will be an issue soon anyway, replacing the solenoid and installing a 3g at the same time might not be a bad idea. Lots of info around here about the alternator upgrade.
        sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Since day one, the needles on the gauges of the GT move with the turn signals, my '95 did the same thing, we had an 89 CS that did it, my Grandfather's 88 GM still does it, my 89 GM about dies at idle when you turn the rear defrost on (before it warms up), the signals go faster & slower with engine RPM.

Call it what you want, its a piss poor design to start with.
          '90 Mustang GT vert
          '89 GM - 189K & rising
          '07 Daytona - cuz i don't have enough money to build a car this quick

Comment

Its the crappy stock alternator that causes that. Your Mustang has the same POS on it, and the same problem. The 130 amp almost entirely cures it since its got better idle speed output. I have that issue to some extent even with the 130, but i have underdrive pullies and an electric fan that really beat on the alternator at idle. If not for the fan, it wouldn't have problems.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Same alternator?
              Is the update/mod/3g thing everybody keeps talkin about the same? Or at least the same idea? Actually, I could probably take advantage of the Mustang aspect and find an aftermarket one (I'm still broke though).
              '90 Mustang GT vert
              '89 GM - 189K & rising
              '07 Daytona - cuz i don't have enough money to build a car this quick

Comment

the 3g/130 amp alt thing everybody is talking about is the same thing. You take an alternator from a mid 90's 3.0 taurus (if you've got the small case 65 amp alt on your panther), swap one wire around, plug the regulator harness back in, and run a big fat 4 gauge wire from the output stud on the alternator to the + side of the battery. (Fuse this wire at 175amp or so)
                Originally posted by gadget73
                There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
                91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
                93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
                Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
                Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
                95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

Working...
                X