Improved throttle response?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Improved throttle response?

Hello everyone, this is my first real post on this site. I'm trying to figure out if taking off my 2 rear converters on my '86 Grand Marquis with improve the throttle response. I cut the muffler and tailpipe off because the car would hesitate and jerk badly under any kind of acceleration. It helped a lot, but I live in a very hilly area of Wisconsin and would prefer not to slam into 2nd or 3rd gear going up an icy hill. My exact plan is to cut the rear converters off, sell them, and use the money to bolt up dual straight pipes with glasspacks at the ends. Does this sound like a good plan? Sorry for the 2 questions, but also, what are these stock converters selling for in the scrap market these days?
    "It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves under the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."
    -Father Dennis O'Brien, USMC

Not really. If the converters aren't clogged, they make very little difference in performance. The motor makes all of 150 hp with single exhaust, so you're just dealing with the basic gutlessness of these cars. Dual exhaust and better rear gearing will help a whole lot. If you've got 2.73 or 3.08 gears, you'll find it struggles on hills a lot more than say a 3.55 or 3.73 gear would.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Would the different gear ratio cause me to lose gas mileage? And how many horses would I be looking at with dual exhaust?
      "It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves under the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."
      -Father Dennis O'Brien, USMC

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
        Not really. If the converters aren't clogged, they make very little difference in performance. The motor makes all of 150 hp with single exhaust, so you're just dealing with the basic gutlessness of these cars. Dual exhaust and better rear gearing will help a whole lot. If you've got 2.73 or 3.08 gears, you'll find it struggles on hills a lot more than say a 3.55 or 3.73 gear would.

How extensive a job is changing the rear gears? If I found 3.55s or even 3.27s or somethings in a yard, could it be swapped cheaply?
        sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Dual exhaust 5.0 cars got up to 165hp. Still practically nothing, but that's a 10% improvement over 150.

The most popular upgrade with Crown Vic and T-bird people is to strip off the entire top end and install 5.0 HO parts from a Mustang or certain years of Mark VII. 225hp is still quite weak, though, so if you go that route, make sure you can get the parts very cheaply.

What are your long term goals for the car?
          2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

one must look at it as if they are gaining 75 horse power over stock. Then it is really good.
            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
            my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by dgouge773 View Post
              Would the different gear ratio cause me to lose gas mileage? And how many horses would I be looking at with dual exhaust?
              Depending on your driving habits, maybe. A 3.73 with mostly highway usage will probably cost you some economy. Mostly stop/go with a lot of hills, I'd be willing to wager no decrese and probably an improvement. Its very much a situational thing.

Originally posted by 1990LTD View Post
              How extensive a job is changing the rear gears? If I found 3.55s or even 3.27s or somethings in a yard, could it be swapped cheaply?
              Shimming and setting preload and pinion depth. Not exactly a job for the faint of heart. Its doable but its not just a bolt-in operation. Cheap is also a relative term, but I'd say probably not. Gear swaps can be pretty involved. Thats something you'd also want to strongly consider a full axle overhaul with new bearings and seals, and if you need axle shafts, thats something else to deal with.
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

It wouldn't be me putting it in, that's for sure. I was thinking more like showing up at my mechanics place with the crap in the back seat and telling him to swap the rear gears Just daydreaming about possible mods..
                sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Oh, if you do mess with the gears and rebuild the axle, its a good excuse to go with rear disc brakes

Comment

Working...
                  X