is it a 5.0 or 5.8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is it a 5.0 or 5.8

ok so im wondering if my 1985 cv is ad 305 5.0 or 351 5.8...

it is carbed.

it have single exhaust (new was on when i bought but its new)

only 85mph max on dash

no push buttion gas door opener.....
    "Vikky"

1985 Crown Vic LTD!

Police Window Grates, Police Divider With Locking Window, G3 ALTERNATOR UPGRADE!

Are you sure it is carbureted? model year 85 has CFI which looks very similar to a carburetor to anyone not knowing that CFI existed. Also push button gas door has nothing to do with anything. Give us an engine bay shot and we will tell you what you have.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

it's on the emissions sticker...if you can find it.

But I can garundamtee you it's NOT a 305.
      Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

If it's a carb then probably a 351...but if it's the CFI then maybe not. Can't tell you for sure unless you post an engine bay shot, or you posted your door jamb sticker/VIN number. Google 'ford fleet vin decoder' and it'll tell you every bit of info pertinent to your boat.
        sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
          Give us an engine bay shot and we will tell you what you have.
          Preferably one with the air cleaner removed. Dave is likely right that what you have is Ford's infamous CFI, or Central Fuel Injection. It looked and operated similarly to a carburetor, but rather than having jets and boosters, it had a pair of fuel injectors mounted inside the barrels.

Assuming that's the case, it's a 302, or 5.0. There are only two ways it could be a 351, or 5.8. One is if it were originally a police car, which given the picture you have in your signature and the fact that the speedometer only goes to 85 seems unlikely. The other is if it were manufactured in Canada where CFI was never used (carburetors were used on 302s through 1985) and 351s were available to the civilian market.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
          1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
          But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

That explains why I've never seen a CFI car. I've wondered about that..
            sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Yep, you guys were never cursed with that atrocity known as CFI.

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

Just driving on the saltiest roads this side of Bonneville
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Nathan in MI View Post
                  Yep, you guys were never cursed with that atrocity known as CFI.
                  It may be the bastard child of Ford induction, but it's good when it's good!

2011 Grand Marquis LS Ultimate Edition
                  Dual Exhaust w/ AP XLerator mufflers and 3 1/2" tips, Eibach 1" rear sway bar, Pioneer Head unit and speakers, 17X8 Drag DR-72 wheels

RIP 1984 2Dr Crown Vic "The Millennium Falcon"
                  Carbed 5.0 HO w/nitrous , Performer RPM intake, GT40P heads, E303 cam, FRP Shorties, FRP 9mm plug wires, Off-Road H-pipe, Magnaflow round mufflers, 2000 rpm stall
                  NA-15.78@91.21, 80hp shot-14.48@96.21

Comment

There is also the possibilty that it's not the original engine. My 81' CV had a 255 when I got it..........it had a 351w in it when I sold it.
                    Former panther owner
                    1981 CV 351 4bbl
                    1991 CV 302 EFI

Comment

Originally posted by andymac0035 View Post
                      There is also the possibilty that it's not the original engine. My 81' CV had a 255 when I got it..........it had a 351w in it when I sold it.
                      Yay for 255 hotrods!

Two visual cues to check: one, a 302's intake manifold is about 9" wide; a 351's is more like 11" (too lazy to walk out and measure mine at the moment ). Another is that a 351's water neck clears the water pump much more nicely. If you have to struggle with an open-end wrench when changing the thermostat, it's a 302.

Don't we have a sticky on this somewhere?
                      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

also with a 302 the head gasket almost touch the drivers side timing cover, where 351 sits over an inch above it
                        http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
                        http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

Is this correct......."The 351 has a computer mounted on the drivers side inner fender"

If so that will be a very easy cue.
                          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Yes.

Comment

yeah, the MCU in the middle of the fender on the 351 cars is kind of obvious.
                              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                              X