Nitrous side effect?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nitrous side effect?

In the week since using the nitrous at the track, I have discovered an interesting side effect. My gas mileage has increased an avg of 2mpg. I guess it blew the soot out of the 25yr old motor. LOL

2011 Grand Marquis LS Ultimate Edition
    Dual Exhaust w/ AP XLerator mufflers and 3 1/2" tips, Eibach 1" rear sway bar, Pioneer Head unit and speakers, 17X8 Drag DR-72 wheels

RIP 1984 2Dr Crown Vic "The Millennium Falcon"
    Carbed 5.0 HO w/nitrous , Performer RPM intake, GT40P heads, E303 cam, FRP Shorties, FRP 9mm plug wires, Off-Road H-pipe, Magnaflow round mufflers, 2000 rpm stall
    NA-15.78@91.21, 80hp shot-14.48@96.21

yeah probably burned the garbage out.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
      yeah probably burned the garbage out.
      yup, nitrous increases the heat and pressure in the cylinder
      http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
      http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

That's awesome, maybe i'll hook up a small shot to my truck and clean out what the seafoam couldn't. But won't the increased heat and pressure cause the valve seals to wear out a lot faster?
        88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
        Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Cool! You're really making it hard to not want a nitrous shot.
          sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Originally posted by 1990LTD View Post
            Cool! You're really making it hard to not want a nitrous shot.
            If the engine is in good shape and not worn (regular oil changes and tune ups) stock cast pistons with a wet system can handle a 75 shot. They could probably handle a 100 shot but that is a fine line. If you go the nitrous route, you must run copper plugs and at least one heat range colder than stock. Do some research to see if you want to try it.

Dual Exhaust w/ AP XLerator mufflers and 3 1/2" tips, Eibach 1" rear sway bar, Pioneer Head unit and speakers, 17X8 Drag DR-72 wheels

Carbed 5.0 HO w/nitrous , Performer RPM intake, GT40P heads, E303 cam, FRP Shorties, FRP 9mm plug wires, Off-Road H-pipe, Magnaflow round mufflers, 2000 rpm stall

Comment

by wet you mean, wet manifold, like carb or CFI, not SEFI right?

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                by wet you mean, wet manifold, like carb or CFI, not SEFI right?
                Wet refers to a system that will inject extra fuel and nitrous when the system activates. It utilizes a fuel solenoid and a nitrous solenoid and combine in a single nozzle. A wet systems works great with sefi. I ran a 75 shot on a 03 3.8 v6 mustang no problem! My friend is running a 85 shot on a 01 sport trac with a 4.0 v6.

Comment

I know i want ttot hook up some nitrous to my carb now... But eh. Shits high isnt it?
                  People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

Comment

Carb systems use a spray bar (spacer) that mounts between the carb and intake manifold. Some kits can be quite expensive, especially those made for specific vehicles. Universal systems are cheaper. The kit I purchased for my stang was NOS Sniper efi kit. Paid about $380 dollars new (shop around!) Total investment after buying a heater and pressure gauge was $500. Getting a 10 lb bottle filled $50+,-.

Comment

Check craigslist and ebay for used systems or never used for good deals on kits and components.

Comment

Originally posted by 88Vic View Post
                        That's awesome, maybe i'll hook up a small shot to my truck and clean out what the seafoam couldn't. But won't the increased heat and pressure cause the valve seals to wear out a lot faster?
                        I dont think it would as long as you dont use a big shot, or stay in it to long.
                        The longest i have sprayed nitrous is in my CV was about 16 seconds. In my mustang i must have sprayed it at least 20 times with no ill effects. You will smell the catalytics from the heat, but this common and doesnt hurt. It is noticable though.

Comment

Originally posted by Smokestacklightnin View Post
                          Carb systems use a spray bar (spacer) that mounts between the carb and intake manifold. Some kits can be quite expensive, especially those made for specific vehicles. Universal systems are cheaper. The kit I purchased for my stang was NOS Sniper efi kit. Paid about $380 dollars new (shop around!) Total investment after buying a heater and pressure gauge was $500. Getting a 10 lb bottle filled $50+,-.
                          $50 for a 10lb bottle? holy shit. its $2.50/# here
                          http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
                          http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

It's $4 a lb here. You have me contemplating haha I have my carb sniper kit I could just buy a few parts and convert it to an efi nozzle style set up, and throw a 125 or 150 shot at the marquis. I'm getting ready to put in gears it would be the perfect compliment haha. But a think my tranny would really get upset since its already a lil fussy on the 2/3 shift. Also for you readers out there I have seen as much as a 175 shot on a stock H.O. 5.0 with the stock forged bottom end with no ill side effects, other than an empty wallet from refills haha.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                            Big plans

Comment

Usually i get my bottle filled for $25, cause my friend (who helps with my setups and vids) has his own bottle filling setup and gets a big bottle from the Industrial gas supply. Its a lot cheaper to go that route.

Comment

Working...
                              X