Stuck bolts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stuck bolts

I started to replace the fuel pump on my 91 today and ran into a problem. I have to remove the alternator, and power steering pump to get to the fuel pump. The problem is this, while removing the alternator the bottom bolt will not come free from the hole. (Get your mind out of the gutter.) I have unscrewed the bolt far enough for the threads to be free from the head but the bolt will not slide out. And I have tried wiggleing the alternator but the bolt feels like it was pressed in. I know it's not pressed it but that is what it's acting like.

Here is the bolt.

Any thoughts?
    1991 LTD P72 351 W Restored Century Police (Ongoing Project) Sergeant Vic.

It's a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.

It's not stuck..it's just still in there. Keep turning and pull on it slightly while doing that. It's a long fuckin' bolt. That was the longest part of my alternator swap..the bolt will come out to the point where the fan is getting in your way. At least that's how mine went..
    Last edited by 1990LTD; 11-03-2009, 04:38 PM.
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Are you sure it's completely unthreaded? If so, you should just be able to tap on the underside of the bolt head with a hammer and get it to come out.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
      1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
      But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

are my eyes decieving me, or is that a 351 with VV carb? I thought your 91 had a 5.0?

As for the bolt,

I had a similar issue with a 69 chevelle with a 350, and it pretty much just took a shit load of penetrating oil (get YOUR mind out of the gutter) and a BFH. Hit it towards the block, pull it away (you may need vice grips for that, or even hammering on the vicegrips) and repeat. There is probably corrosion on the bolt making it wider and tighter in the hole (mind out of the gutter), and penetrating fluid combined with being worked back and forth is probably your best bet.

edit: I don't know if I was clear in my explanation of the vicegrip part.

put the vicegrips so that they are clamping on the bolt right resting up against the head, and hammer on the block side of the vice grips, so that the vice grips push against the head of the bolt. If it stops coming out, just hit the head of the bolt so that it slide back towards the block, and repeat the process until you loosen the crap that is holding the bolt in.
        Last edited by johnunit; 11-03-2009, 07:19 PM.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
        160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
        waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Just like they said its very very long, just turn and pull at the same time until it comes out.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
          Big plans

Comment

Might try a spritz of oil. Its just a PITA, not much else about it. If you get the right magic alignment on the alternator, the bolt will just about fall out but otherwise you'll be fighting with it.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Make sure to go over that bolt VERY thoroughly with a wire wheel once it's out!

Note to self: need to get some metal gun cleaning brushes for brushing out nasty bolt holes.
              2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by johnunit View Post
                are my eyes deceiving me, or is that a 351 with VV carb? I thought your 91 had a 5.0?
                Your eyes do not deceive you, that is a 351. My 91 LTD is a P72 police.

As for the bolt, I tried the vice grips trick and got nowhere. The bolt is unthreaded, just stuck. I think that there is some corrosion on the bolt. I tried PB Blaster, and even a propane torch. I made a little progress with the torch but it's still in there.

Here is where I am now.

I called in back-up and TRWP72 came over to help. We both looked at it and scratched or collective heads, and then had the idea to remove the whole bracket, alternator, power steering and all.

At that point I was able to replace the fuel pump.

The plan now is to disconnect the power steering lines and then put the whole bracket in a vice to drive out the bolt.

I have gone as far as I can tonight so work will start again in a couple days when I have time. Also, because I am pretty much balls deep at this point I will be replacing the water pump, radiator hoses, heater hoses, thermostat, and alternator. I may as well while I'm in there and the water pump and hoses are old anyway.
                1991 LTD P72 351 W Restored Century Police (Ongoing Project) Sergeant Vic.

It's a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.

Comment

nice! lol I had a similar problem with a spare HO upper intake i was given. The egr spacer was just stuck on one of the bolts that holds it on the upper intake. I put the egr spacer with the bolt stuck into a vice and the fucking bolt just twisted into two pieces. A lot of heat took care of that pesky bolt.
                  ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                  My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                  My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                  But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                  my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I had to remove the whole bracket in one big piece like that on my old lopo when I was switching accesories to the H.O.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                    Big plans

Comment

When you put it back together, use a little anti seize wherever steel & aluminum coexist.....

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

I actualy had to use some blue lock tight on that bolt or it would back out and hit the fan and i would hear chink chink chink. :/
                        People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

Comment

I had that happen once. Boy, was I worried till I figured out what it was.
                          2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Yeah, I had it back out on me once on the '89, too. It didn't get far enough to hit the fan, but I opened the hood one day and was rather shocked to see it. I tightened it down and never had a problem again, but it sure confused the heck out of me when it happened.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
                            1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
                            But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

that lower radiator hose looks scary

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                              2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                              1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                              1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                              2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                              1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Working...
                              X