H.O. throttle body

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

H.O. throttle body

Got the throttle body in last week from Scott and Ivan (John Deer Green) The EGR plate went to the local machine shop yesterday, supposed to be done Monday... Told him no hurry, I want it done right, not going to rush the job. Next is powder coating for the spacer plate, upper plenum, and possibly the throttle body... Depends on if he can powder coat it with out having to take it apart... He said he has done them before... we will see... He will be bead blasting the upper plenum, spacer plate, and the outside of the throttle body...

I'm going to clean out the inside of the upper plenum before it goes to the powder coating guy... Thinking about getting a five gallon bucket, and put the plenum in that, and fill it up with purple power degreaser... let it soak for a while... then finish up with some carb spray...

I'm going to polish the letters on the 5.0. cover plate, then have him powder coat the rest of the plate black... Upper plenum, spacer / EGR plate, and throttle body will be grey. (Even if I have to end up painting the throttle body, I'll paint it with grey engine paint)

It should look good...

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…
    Agent Tony DiNozzo… It only seems longer….

http://www.tomspolicecars.com/

sounds like it will be pretty. what car is the ho going in?
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Is this gray powder coat going to look similar to the Crown Victoria's original plenum?
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Is this the HO upper plenum, or are you using the original upper?
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

we sent tom a ho upper plenum
          i would not powdercoat the throttle body.....there are plastic bushings and parts inside that will get damaged in the oven

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

I noticed the throttle body has a bearing inside where the lever is at.

is that right?

If so what kind of Lubricant would you recommend to lube it up?
            1990 EFI Crown Vic Lx sigpic
            1964 Lincoln Continental (not running)
            1963 Lincoln Continental (running)
            1995 Honda Accord(Stolen)

Comment

sounds like it will be pretty. what car is the ho going in?
              The 91-- I put a H.O. in it this summer, but didn't get the upper for it until now... It runs ok with the lopo on it... but it will run alot better with the H.O. upper in it!!

I would not powdercoat the throttle body.....there are plastic bushings and parts inside that will get damaged in the oven
              Thats what I was wondering... Thats why he said he would have to look at it... So I guess it will get the engine paint... And yes the upper plenum will be powder coated grey, like the stock one... along with the EGR plate.

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…

Comment

Originally posted by ald872000 View Post
                I noticed the throttle body has a bearing inside where the lever is at.

is that right?

If so what kind of Lubricant would you recommend to lube it up?
                should be a bronze oillite bushing. Its actually got oil impregnated in the bronze, but if its sticky you can try soaking some Kroil or some other thin oil that won't evaporate into it. WD40 would not be a good choice. It might loosen up some of the old oil, but it will evaporate and you'll be back where you started. If its a ball bearing (doubt it, but I won't swear it isn't), then probably packing some fresh wheel bearing grease into it after flushing the old junk out wouldn't be a bad idea.

The truly proper way to re-lube an oillite bushing is to press it out, cook the old oil out with a torch, then put it in a vacuum chamber with oil so it sucks the air out. You can make one out of a baby food jar, a plastic nipple, and some jb weld or similar to seal the nipple into the lid. Vacuum it down with a hand vacuum pump (or hell, use manifold vacuum if you must) and it will fizz the air right out. Takes only a few minutes under vacuum and you're ready to press the bushing back in. You'd also need to ream the bushing after pressing it back in to ensure its at the proper inner diameter.

And yes, thats vastly more work than its ever worth. If the tb is seized up that bad and you can't get it loose under normal means, get another one.
                Last edited by gadget73; 12-03-2009, 09:15 PM.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Picked up the EGR spacer plate today from the machine shop... Cost me $12.00 to have it machined for the H.O. throttle body. Then I took it and the upper plenum, and the throttle body to the powder coating guy... he is going to clean up the throttle body for me, so I can paint it... (He's going to tape it off and blast the outside of the throttle body) and then clean up and powder coat the EGR plate, and the upper plenum. He is going to clean out the inside of any gunk or carbon build up, then bead blast the inside. He said it should look pretty good inside when he is done. Then he is going to bead blast the EGR plate, and powder coat both the original grey color like the one on my car now. Final price for the clean up and powder coating???

$80.00!!!!

So $92.00 total with the machine work to get it ready to mount....

Comment

Picked up the stuff at the powder coating shop Tuesday... The upper plenum looks brand new... the inside of the plenum is spotless, and shiney! It is amazing what he did to this thing! The egr spacer and Plenum are now factory grey, and the throttle body will be painted to match the first time it warms up enough to paint... And sunny enough for it to be layed in the sun to dry! I know, need pictures... Before and after pictures soon!

Comment

Working...
                    X