Is there a way to tell...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there a way to tell...

What accessory is going on my motor. One of the pullies ( Not the alternator as its new) is going. I dont know what it is, shouldn't the water pump leak a little as they usually do when they start to go? Anyway I dont want to smoke the belt off when it finally seizes, so I was wondering if there is a common bearing that goes, or an easy way to tell.
    "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
    1985 GMC 1500

Take the belt off and spin them by hand. Feel which pulley is unhappy.
    2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
    2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
    2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
    1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Yeah, Ill probably take a look at her on sunday, If its the smog pump, Im just going to yank it.
      "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
      1985 GMC 1500

Comment

the other option is to drive until it stops making noise, then look to see what part fell off.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

^ Ha yeah, my dad said something and I said well when the belt seizes and smokes off I guess Ill know whats broken. Probably not the best idea though.
          1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Well you could try pulling just the A/C belt off and see if it goes away. That's what I did.
            Former panther owner
            1981 CV 351 4bbl
            1991 CV 302 EFI

Comment

What I usually do is pull the belts and try to rock the pulleys up and down. If there's movement then usually it's a good indicator that something is getting ready to fail. Most of the time the noise will come from the tensioner pulley, those seem to be the most prone to failure. I've had the alternator do the same thing, make random noises and it was the front bearing that was bad.
              Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
              Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Yeah shes also got a small ticking noise going on that ill take a look at after I get the accessory thing sorted out tomorrow. I was told it was likely the tension arm.
                1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Well you can call me crazy, but my old man taught me this trick...

Take either a long handled (24"-36") screw driver, or a wooden dowel and press one end against the case of an accessory, as near the pulley as possible. Put your ear to the other end and listen. Typically, the unhappy pulley/ accessory has a different sound to it.

I've done it in the past, and it does work quite well.
                  **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                  **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                  **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                  **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Ive actually heard of that trick, something they did on some tv show, didnt know if it actually worked or not.
                    1985 GMC 1500

Comment

it does work. I've also used it to chase noises.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Ive decided its the power steering because the alternator is new, and the noise went away with the belt off, also the pulley had quite a bit of in and out play and was hard to turn, required unequal pressure. Thanks for all the tips, pics in my RR page - links in the sig. Thanks again.
                        1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Working...
                        X