Most quiet and cheap muffler?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most quiet and cheap muffler?

Okay so here is the thread about my messed up muffler. http://grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=33382

I want to get the cheapest possible replacement. I don't want more sound and would actually rather not hear anything as I don't get on it at all. The piping after the muffler is messed up so I guess I'll need to replace that also but does that even make a difference with the sound? Would a short turn down pipe behind the muffler be noisy?

Also, it was mentioned in the thread that it looks like something was fabbed up. What kind of problems do you guys see me running into?I want cheap and quiet.
    88 MGM 5.0 stock

stock exhaust is your best bet as these were grandma cars...the walker replacement probably doesnt cost too much
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Having the exhaust exit at the rear of the car, as opposed to directly in front of the axle with a dump or turn down, will be quietest.

Stock replacement mufflers are usually restrictive enough to be quiet. I would get the largest case size available that will fit.

Comment

Okay I'll check the mufflers at the local places tomorrow.

What about the fabbed up thing? Whats fabbed up and what should I do?
        88 MGM 5.0 stock

Comment

Originally posted by deepsleep View Post
          Okay I'll check the mufflers at the local places tomorrow.

What about the fabbed up thing? Whats fabbed up and what should I do?
          Take it to an exhaust shop and have them fix it.

Also, if you go with really quiet mufflers, having turndowns behind it will still be hardly noticeable. At least my car with stock single exhaust, and a generic replacement muffler with a turn down was quiet as could be.
          2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
          2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
          2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
          1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Cheapest is to go to AutoZone and get a $15 or $20 "economy replacement" muffler in the original dimensions. Won't be whisper-quiet like factory, but it'll be cheap and not particularly obnoxious. I've been running a pair of their economy mufflers on my Crown Vic with 2.5" in and 2.25" out, and while you can definitely hear it, at least there's no ear-splitting drone to drive me the rest of the way insane.

For quiet, consider getting a real Walker QuietFlow. They can be had from RockAuto for between $60 and $80 if I remember correctly, and they're advertised as being the very quietest replacement muffler (should be pretty close to the stock sound level, which was basically silent).

Stock replacement tailpipes can be had fairly cheaply from AZ, Advance, RockAuto, and similar sources, and are completely adequate if the rest of the exhaust is stock.
            Last edited by 1987cp; 01-27-2010, 02:39 PM.
            2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

hey torquelover, i'm loven that car man!
              Finally have an on the books porting/custom fab business!
              HO bottom end,GT40Ps,cut/welded/ported upper+lower GT40 intakes,Comp XE258 cam,MS3X megasquirt computer,8 LS2 coils,2 dry systems + a 3rd wet,3 core rad w fans..1100hp Lentech WR AOD,custom 4" aluminum/moly Dshaft,custom rear/back half chassis adjustable 4link,wilwood 4 piston,moser 9" axles,locker, M/T 30x12's,4 staged fuel pumps,100lbs sound insulation,power/remote everything,2000W sound.4480lbs. 4.5s 0-60,12.8 1/4

Comment

\begin{threadJack}

Originally posted by merc91 View Post
                hey torquelover, i'm loven that car man!
                :confused:

Unless you mean this thing .... http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/attachme...&d=1262019281\

\end{threadJack}
                2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

The Magnaflows I had put on today are surprisingly quiet when you keep your foot out of it.
                  sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Originally posted by 1990LTD View Post
                    The Magnaflows I had put on today are surprisingly quiet when you keep your foot out of it.
                    Wait about a thousand miles....
                    "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
                    1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Guy said these have fiberglass in 'em and it will change in sound a bit after some breaking in.
                      sigpic

Comment

yeah they will sound better and better, but they do get louder at an idle.
                        "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
                        1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Better go put a few KMs on them just to make sure it got enough for today
                          sigpic

Comment

If you put a load on them they will break in faster, I took my car through the hills and let it ride higher rpms before it would shift, I also like mashing the pedal and scaring college kids... hehe. theres a vid in my readers ride page after about 800 miles on em... check it out, mine are the xl turbos though, not sure what you got.
                            1985 GMC 1500

Comment

11235..welded stainless steel 14" case
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X