Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the best fuel injection cleaner to get.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the best fuel injection cleaner to get.

I was thinking of cleaning my fuel injectors on my 1983 Grand Marquis to see if that stops the hesitation. Any worth getting that perform the best.

1982 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Bill Blass Designer Series 2-Door(Larisa)
    -Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
    1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

I used chevron with techron, comes in a black bottle and can be got at most auto parts stores, Just make sure its the whole system cleaner and not just labeled injector cleaner. Im not sure if its the best but it worked pretty well.
    "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
    1985 GMC 1500

Comment

SeaFoam. Available at WalMart.

Or, 4 oz. of acetone per 10 gallons of gas. No, it won't help your mileage, but it will clean out your injectors. And it's cheaper than SeaFoam. Assuming you have a gallon can of it in your garage just in case you need acetone.
      '84 Grand Marquis
      Damn thing just keeps runnin'!

"Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important." T.S. Elliot

Comment

Yeah just if you do the seafoam treatment don't do the step of putting it in your oil.
        "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
        1985 GMC 1500

Comment

The best injector cleaner is the kind where you take the injectors out and bring them to a place where they have the equipment to actually get them clean. The injector-cleaner-in-a-bottle products can be filed right next to the engine rebuilds in a can.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
          1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
          But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

Rebuilds in a can? isn't that just Rustoleum?
            1985 GMC 1500

Comment

No, I was thinking more along the lines of the stuff you dump into your oil that's supposed to quiet loose bearings, improve ring seal, improve your gas mileage, make your hair grow back, make you irresistible to women, etc.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
              1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
              But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

haha yeah that stuff is just a scheme, I mean it could conceivably fix SOME leaks SOMEtimes, like high mileage oil, that is to say it could swell the seals, but ive found the injector cleaner does make a small difference in throttle response, however it would be nowhere near as good as yanking the darn things out and cleaning em up.
                1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Most shops have a tool that will pressurize the injector cleaner into the system which is the best way to go without pulling them.
                  2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.
                  1992 Explorer Eddie Bauer, slight lift, 34s, and A/C...
                  1979 Bronco Custom, 351M/C6/NP205, 4" lift, 35s, lots of fender trimming.

Comment

Now, don't knock all oil additives. I've used Marvels Mystery oil off and on for years. I have used it in a number of engines to quiet noisy lifters. The most dramatic was an old Y block ford 292 that had a really bad ticking.
                    I could change the oil in that thing, and start it up, and it would tick so loud that you could hear the tick farther away than you could hear the engine idle with a straight pipe. Add a bit of Marvels and it would nearly go silent.

Also makes for a good air tool oil too.
                    Owner of the only known 5 speed box wagon with a lift kit.
                    AKA, Herkimer the Hillbilly SUV.

Axle codes
                    Open/Lock/Ratio #
                    -----------------------
                    G / H / 2.26
                    B / C / 2.47
                    8 / M / 2.73
                    7 / - / 3.07
                    Y / Z / 3.08
                    4 / D / 3.42
                    F / R / 3.45
                    5 / E / 3.27
                    6 / W / 3.73
                    2 / K / 3.55
                    A / - / 3.63
                    J / - / 3.85

Comment

Marvels is the genuine article. But things like RESTORE I'd never use.
                      Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                      Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Seafoam and chevron techrons best can cleaners i have found...

And Eh,. Ive had Luucas and 20x50 cure knocking in rangers and Bronco II';s!
                        People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

Comment

No argument about restore, and some others. Most of the time you can do better with a bit of heavy gear oil.

I know of one guy who was on his way from California to Ky who's engine started losing oil pressure. The mains were beginning to make noise, so he dumped heavy gear oil in it, and got some pressure back. That worked for a while but it kept getting worse. He barely had enough money for gas and a few meals as it was. (Camping, or sleeping in his car) He had a case of grease in the back, and got an idea. He built a fire, slit them open and dumped them into a pan, and heated them up until the grease was thin enough to pour into the still hot engine.

The oil pressure gauge pegged and the thing quieted down. He had to leave it running for fear that it would never be able to pump the stuff if it ever cooled down, but it made it the rest of the way from Nevada, or Oklahoma to Ky.
                          Owner of the only known 5 speed box wagon with a lift kit.
                          AKA, Herkimer the Hillbilly SUV.

Axle codes
                          Open/Lock/Ratio #
                          -----------------------
                          G / H / 2.26
                          B / C / 2.47
                          8 / M / 2.73
                          7 / - / 3.07
                          Y / Z / 3.08
                          4 / D / 3.42
                          F / R / 3.45
                          5 / E / 3.27
                          6 / W / 3.73
                          2 / K / 3.55
                          A / - / 3.63
                          J / - / 3.85

Comment

I get a few bottles of NAPA 6600 fuel injector cleaner every few months and run them through the vehicles. It seems to keep everything clean. I've been trying to change the fuel filters every year on all of the vehicles as well.

Packman

Comment

Originally posted by GoodSamaritan View Post
                              No argument about restore, and some others. Most of the time you can do better with a bit of heavy gear oil.

I know of one guy who was on his way from California to Ky who's engine started losing oil pressure. The mains were beginning to make noise, so he dumped heavy gear oil in it, and got some pressure back. That worked for a while but it kept getting worse. He barely had enough money for gas and a few meals as it was. (Camping, or sleeping in his car) He had a case of grease in the back, and got an idea. He built a fire, slit them open and dumped them into a pan, and heated them up until the grease was thin enough to pour into the still hot engine.

The oil pressure gauge pegged and the thing quieted down. He had to leave it running for fear that it would never be able to pump the stuff if it ever cooled down, but it made it the rest of the way from Nevada, or Oklahoma to Ky.

Older guy I know was in a similar situation, out in the middle of nowhere (way before cellphones) and his transmission started slipping really bad. Seems the pan had a hole in it somewhere and the fluid slowly leaked out. All he had on hand was a jug of water, so he filled it back up with that. It got him where he needed to go, needless to say the trans was trashed lol
                              Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                              Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X