replacing starter drive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

replacing starter drive?

How does one replace the starter drive? Am going to replace the whole starter assembly when money allows but for now I'm only replacing the broken (for now) part.

How long should it take? Take in to account that I have as much experience under a car as an Amish mechanic.
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

i dont even mess with starters......i just put a new one in......what's wrong with the drive?

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

it goes click whrrrr. was told that it's my problem. i'm not even slightly opposed to replacing the whole starter, but i can't afford the motorcraft one

MOTORCRAFT Part # SA734BRM More Info {#E4DZ11002BRM, E4DZ1102BRM}
      Reman Starter Eligible for Bumper to Bumper Motorcraft Warranties; E4AF-11001AA Starter Original $163.79
      sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

do you know which starter your car has?
        they used the old style and the new style in 1990

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

Comment

I have the starter drive from each. Don't know which one my car uses yet.
          sigpic

Comment

big time core charge on that motorcraft starter
            mid 1990 they switched from a direct drive starter to a gear reduction starter......if your starter has one wire going to it, it's a direct drive.......if it has 2 wires going to it, it's a gear reduction starter

Comment

yeah I'm not going to bother with a core charge on this, would take too goddamn much to send it back .

i was basically advised by someone on here not to go with anything cheap whatsoever (and to actually get the motorcraft unit) when buying a starter, but i don't know what is good and what isn't
              sigpic

Comment

what do they want for a starter local? down here the direct drive starter starts at 50 bucks for the 1 yr one......90 for the brandy new one

Comment

dunno, prices are usually so retarded locally i look to rockauto first. i'll check tomorrow.
                  sigpic

Comment

What are some things I can do to test and see if it is actually the starter? Battery connections are good
                    sigpic

Comment

I dont think I ever had any problems with cheap reman'd starter from the parts store?

what about a pull-a-part? probably like $20

Comment

I assume that's a junkyard where you pull parts out yourself? Yeah, none of those around here. All of the boxes I've found have been pre-90, so it's quite likely I wouldn't be able to use the starter anyway.

So you don't think I would have any troubles with one of the cheaper starters on RockAuto?

RockAuto ships auto parts and body parts from over 300 manufacturers to customers' doors worldwide, all at warehouse prices. Easy to use parts catalog.

What would you folks go with if you had less (preferably substantially) than a hundred bucks to spend on one? Don't take core returns into account.
                        sigpic

Comment

I typically go with whatever local parts store has a limited lifetime warranty parts. then if the new one craps out, I just pull it and take it back and get a new one. at least for "fix it so it works" repairs. If I'm upgrading to better parts (ie: I have money to spend on the car) I generally get a "better" part but I'm still too stingy with my wallet to pay for the "best" parts.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                          Originally posted by gadget73
                          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                          Originally posted by dmccaig
                          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

160ish at the local parts store after I return my original. They didn't tell me what brand it was or what kind of warranty comes on it...I gotta do some running around tomorrow so I'll find out at some point then when I can go to different parts places
                            sigpic

Comment

Ask what brand and what kind of warranty.
                              Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                              Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X