Oil in the air filter housing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil in the air filter housing

I have a 1985 Town Car, with the throttle-body injection, I noticed there was some oil under my air filter housing, I guess you'd say on top of the intake. So I unscrewed the top to look inside and there was oil all over the throttlebody/air filter housing.

What could be causing this? The engine runs great. I do smell a little bit of oil when I shut the car off, but I attributed this to the age of the engine, but what could cause an oil leak here?

Is the PCV valve good? There is a screen under the valve, inside the cap. Not sure if its replacable, but you can flush it out with carb cleaner. Also make sure the gasket under the oil fill cap is present and intact.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

What gadget said. If the PVC, the screen, or the hose is plugged. You will get oil in the cleaner housing. Start the car, pull the PVC out and put your finger over the end. It should suck a lot of air, if not replace it.
      89 CV LX 225/60 x 16 tires, CC819 rear springs, Front & rear sway bar, trans & PS cooler from 90 cop car. KYB shocks, F-150 on rear. Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe. Dark brown door panels, carpet, steering wheel, trim parts from a 87 Mer GM. Power front buckets from 96 Jeep Cherokee. LED'S front & rear. 3G Alt from a 97 Taurus wagon 3.0. Electric fan. Rear axle from a 97 PI 3.27 with disk brakes. Headlight relays.

Comment

the oil cap/pcv housing has a filter inside it that gets gooed up.......replace the oil cap, the pcv valve and the hose, also change the breather in the air cleaner assy.

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Will give it a try. Thanks guys!

Comment

Changed the oil cap, the PCV Valve, checked the hoses going to the Air Cleaner, changed the breather, and cleaned the ever living f*ck out of the air cleaner. I think I'm gonna do this as part of any tune up from now on.

I'm not sure if it's working or not, but there's no oil in there now.

Also, I believe the oil smell is seepage from the valve cover falling on the exhaust manifold.

Comment

The oil smell is likely seepage from the VC. This happens a lot. Those gaskets are pretty easy to replace. Don't get the shitty cork ones.

You could try tightening the VC bolts, but it's just as likely to make the problem worse as it is to make it better.

You said you changed the breather, and by that I'm assuming you meant you changed the screen underneath the PCV valve. This getting gummed up is the primary cause of the oil in the air filter housing.
              Originally posted by gadget73
              There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
              91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
              93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
              Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
              Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
              95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

I've been routinely checking the air cleaner and it's nice and dry in there.

And 91waggin, there's a actually two breathers on my engine, the cap goes to one side of the air cleaner, and there's another elbow in the other valve cover that runs with a hose up to a filter in the air cleaner housing.

And, I've seen the oil leak with my own eyes, it is indeed dripping on to the passenger side exhaust manifold from the valve cover. I'll attempt to get to that one of these days, but all that AIR pump and A/C stuff is in the way.

Comment

you must destroy the air pump!
                  My wife and I.sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 85 Town Car View Post
                    I've been routinely checking the air cleaner and it's nice and dry in there.

And 91waggin, there's a actually two breathers on my engine, the cap goes to one side of the air cleaner, and there's another elbow in the other valve cover that runs with a hose up to a filter in the air cleaner housing.

And, I've seen the oil leak with my own eyes, it is indeed dripping on to the passenger side exhaust manifold from the valve cover. I'll attempt to get to that one of these days, but all that AIR pump and A/C stuff is in the way.
                    You should be able to unbolt the a/c compressor and move it out of the way a little bit. Also, remove your air injection system. Useless piece of shit.
                    There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
                    91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
                    93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
                    Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
                    Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
                    95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

Seems to me I changed that gasket without removing that stuff, iirc.

Pete
                      For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
                      1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
                      1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

Working...
                      X