No announcement yet.

85 Town Car, crank no start after tune up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a tip for the future, replace one plug wire at a time, that way you won't have to worry about switching things up.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

x100 on the above. I did that a couple of times before even bothering to refer to a firing order list. That way you don't even have to worry about which timing order to use (Panther 302s all used the old 302 order, but HO 302s and 351s were different)

Using a timing light is actually really easy. And even the fancy ones with advance knobs don't usually exceed $100. Advance-knob lights actually make it even easier than easy, because you just twist the knob to your desired advance and line the timing pointer up with zero.
      Last edited by 1987cp; 05-26-2010, 06:53 PM.
      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Have to pull the electronic advance connector on an EFI car. Thats really the whole mystery to it, and one that many many people don't do including shops. TIming lights you can get new for under 50 if its just a basic one. I've never really found a need for a fancy one. They're nice, but not essential for most of us.

This is a must-see site for fans of American luxury hot rods. Message forums, tech advice, news, and automotive performance links are offered for Lincoln Mark VIII and Mark VII, Lincoln LS, Town Car, Continental, Navigator, Aviator, Zephyr, MKR, MKS, MKZ and more.
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

True, but I'm just saying, he just spent the price of a normal-brand cheap timing light (Actron, Sunpro) and may or may not have a way of knowing what was done or whether it was done correctly.
          2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

The bill said it was 10 degrees off. And I can feel the difference, it doesn't buck or stall anymore. A timing light woulda been a wiser benefit, but I don't think I'll be turning any distributers again anytime soon.

Comment

Oh, and thanks Jonathan!

Comment

No problem!
                Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 85 Town Car View Post
                  The bill said it was 10 degrees off. And I can feel the difference, it doesn't buck or stall anymore. A timing light woulda been a wiser benefit, but I don't think I'll be turning any distributers again anytime soon.
                  Probably someone set the timing in the past without unplugging the connector. At least I hope that was it, otherwise its now set incorrectly lol. They usually buck and stumble and run generally poo-like when the timing is wrong.

Comment

Well, my dad was actually turning the distributor when the firing was off. But, when I got back to my house from the shop, the connector was unplugged, but it's been running great.

Comment

Plug it back in, it won't run quite right without timing advance.

Comment

in the future keep this in mind on every vehicle out there the #1 cylinder is ALWAYS the closest cylinder to the front of the engine the front of the engine being where the harmonic balancer is. if you look at a v block engine youll notice that one valve cover is slightly more towards the front than the other that first plug is #1. oh and what sticker under the hood had your firing order on it?
                        My wife and I.sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X