Is it my injectors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it my injectors?

Ok, my 88 gmq has a slight stutter when i accelerate. It only happens when it is in gear, not in park or nuetral. Can anyone help me figure this out?

Check for codes.

Test throttle position sensor for dead spots. Put a voltmeter (analog actually works better in this case, since you can see the smoothness of the needle movement) on the two not-black wires.
    Have someone slowly and smoothly apply full throttle with the key in the on position, but without the engine running.
    You should see a smooth increase from nearly 0 to nearly 5 volts as you open the throttle. If there are dead spots, replace the TPS.
    Originally posted by gadget73
    There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
    91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
    93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
    Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
    Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
    95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

standard tuneup questions first: how old are the plugs, wires, cap, and rotor? What condition are they in? How old are the fuel and air filters?

If thats good, and a code check does nothing for you, try unhooking the EGR valve. Its the green hose on the can thing next to the throttle. If that makes the hesitation go away, probably the egr regulator is sticky. I was able to fix mine by squirting some wd40 in the vent tube on the regulator. If unhooking the egr does absolutely nothing, your problem is elsewhere.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I belive that everything is original on the car. I just bought it 2 days ago and drove it for the first time earlier today.

Comment

do a tuneup and see what changes. Can't diagnose much without known good basic stuff.
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Alright. Whats a rough estimate on a tuneup? Cause I'm a little tight on money at the moment. And I really appreciate the advice.

Comment

spark plugs 2 bucks ea
              wireset 25-50 bucks
              cap and rotor 15-25 bucks
              fuel filter 10 bucks
              air filter 8 bucks
              pcv valve 3 bucks
              pcv gromnet 4 bucks
              pcv screen 6 bucks

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
              2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
              1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
              1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
              2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
              1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

ok cool, I should be able to do that this week. Thanks guys.

Comment

just some suggestions on parts, Motorcraft or Autolite (made in Mexico only) plugs, just basic copper core ones
                  distributor cap with brass terminals
                  not the cheapest wire set you can find. Duralast Gold, Napa Premium, whatever. You want the better wires, cheapo ones just suck and they don't last.

Comment

could it be a possible vacuum leak? cause if i am sitting next to a building at idle i can hear a hissing noise.

Comment

is it much louder when you're standing outside the open engine bay? the suspected vac leak, that is.

grab a length of spare vac hose and hold one end to your ear and try to trace the noise around the engine bay with the open end of the hose. it should make itself evident.

all kinds of noises from your car will bounce off of buildings because the sound waves have lots of room to propagate and you're getting sounds from the entire length of the car. the highest noises need the least amount of room to propagate - think of whispering - so that's why holding the open end of the hose around the engine bay will pick up the hiss hiss hiss easiest.
                      sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

ok i'll try this and get back to you. lol cant right now cause its really storming out right now lol

Comment

ill bet it needs a new timing set
                          1988 MGM GS - Preferred Equipment Package 172A; InstaClear

1980 Lincoln Continental Coupe
                          1994 MGM GS Montigua
                          2005 F150 Lariat Scab 4x4 3.73 LS
                          2002 Mustang GT Coupe

Comment

to find vacume leaks i spray starting fluid around the suspect areas the engine will rev up when you hit it. but just because you dont find it this way it dosnt mean you dont have a vac leak.
                            My wife and I.sigpic

Comment

starting fluid is awful volatile. Get that around a bad plug wire and it might blow up in your face. WD40 is somewhat safer and will produce the same effect.

Comment

Working...
                              X