Bringing the '83 out of retirement...maybe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bringing the '83 out of retirement...maybe

In 2005 I bought a 1996 Impala SS, and since I lived with my parents at the time, was in college, and didn't have much income, I put the old grand marquis into storage. 5 years later, it's still there, somehow with pressure still in all the tires.

Anyway, I've grown up a little, graduated college, got a grown-up job, grown-up income, a wife, and last but not least, a house with a GARAGE!!!!

So, as much fun as the Impala has been (no flaming please), I really miss the old mercury. It's been in the family since 1985 (parents bought it a month before I was born... first car I ever rode in).

Enough of the sentimental BS... I want to bring it out of retirement. It's 60 miles away, so I have to get it here first. That'll be a project in itself. But once I do, I need a cheklist to get it driveable again since it hasn't moved under it's own power in at least 3.5 of it's 5 years in storage (I went back every once in a while and drove it around the parking lot). Here's what I have thought of so far:

-Change Fluids: engine oil, coolant (and thermostat), power steering, brake fluid (and bleed the whole system), wiper fluid. I'd like opinions on wheather or not I should flush the transmission fluid.
    -Replace coolant hoses
    -Replace leaky or brittle vacume hoses
    -New Battery
    -New Tires
    -Check Brake Pads/rotors/shoes/drums and see if any need replacing or resurfacing
    -Search and destroy any muddobber nests
    -Wiper Blades
    -Check Muffler Bearings (HAHAHAHAH!)
    -Insurance
    -Tag (it's been black tagged ever since storing it)
    -Replace any burned out lamps
    -Test power brake booster
    -Test turn signal switch/horn switch/brake light switch/hazard switch, headlamp/highbeam switch

Also, I wasn't smart enough back then to put any thing in the fuel to keep it from gumming up... suggestions on what do to about that?

Just want to get the thing driving reliably, then I'll probably sell the Chevy so I can have some spare cash and maybe actually turn it into a project again :-D

Anyway I'm sure I'm leaving some things off the checklist so chime in when you think of something.

Thanks!

Nic

EDIT:
    For what it's worth, I think it had about 148,000 miles when I put it into hibernation.
    Last edited by NitroNic; 06-22-2010, 10:57 PM.

Might want to just do the tranny fluid anyway, as it won't hurt it. Im not seeing a whole bunch you left out... although Im sure others will. If it sat that long maybe rear end fluid change as well?

Bearings

Damn those things are expensive too.
    "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
    1985 GMC 1500

Comment

belts and hoses and fresh coolant

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

You know... My LTD had sat longer than that when I bought it. The lawyer for the estate sale had it towed to a garage and told them to change ANYTHING and EVERYTHING out that they could before starting it again.... Hoses, fluids, filters everything that lot rot can kill.

Then, go to a gas station and fill it up all the way. Run that tank of gas with some seafoam added all the way thru. Then fill up again and run that 1/2 way out... Fill again. (I did this after I got the LTD on the advice of my mechanic and several other car people. Got rid of the old gas and helped clean things up a bit. Runs great, and no longer smells badly of rotted gas.) I may be wrong on this, but it did work for me.

One thing they forgot to change out though... WATER PUMP. On my first drive with Handsome, it blew up (smelly nasty scary screeching blew up)! Change that out. I mean it. Just to be on the safe side.

Oh, and check for any fuel leaks as well.
        sigpic

Comment

check thoroughly for rust. Sure it might have been rust-free when you put it away, but if there was ANY damp where you parked it, you never know. At the very least get under there and check brake and fuel lines.

Also:

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
          160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
          waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Heather.... thanks. I think I changed the water pump within a year of it being stored...but those are cheap and plentiful so I'll check it anyway.

Originally posted by johnunit View Post
            check thoroughly for rust. Sure it might have been rust-free when you put it away, but if there was ANY damp where you parked it, you never know. At the very least get under there and check brake and fuel lines.
            Yeah, I planned to check the brake lines and probably replace the hoses anyway. Didn't think about fuel lines. I almost wonder if it would be best to siphon that old fuel out as much as I can and put fresh fuel in.

Originally posted by johnunit View Post
            So do you want me to post pictures of the rust or do you want pictures of the Merc and the Chevy?

Comment

pics of rust on the merc
              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
              my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Look out for squirrels. The little bastards can be everywhere, and are dangerous. An old lady here let a Lincoln sit for three years, and when she went in to start it again, she was mauled by a nest of grey squirrels hidden in the glove box...dozens of them were in there.

Comment

inspect front wheel bearings and races. Sometimes if they sit too long they can start pitting, if anything repack them

2011 Grand Marquis LS Ultimate Edition
                  Dual Exhaust w/ AP XLerator mufflers and 3 1/2" tips, Eibach 1" rear sway bar, Pioneer Head unit and speakers, 17X8 Drag DR-72 wheels

RIP 1984 2Dr Crown Vic "The Millennium Falcon"
                  Carbed 5.0 HO w/nitrous , Performer RPM intake, GT40P heads, E303 cam, FRP Shorties, FRP 9mm plug wires, Off-Road H-pipe, Magnaflow round mufflers, 2000 rpm stall
                  NA-15.78@91.21, 80hp shot-14.48@96.21

Comment

Working...
                  X