No announcement yet.

header questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cutting the flanges off a complete 2..25" or 2.5" H pipe to put on a 2" Panther exhaust would be silly. Better off getting replacement flanges in the right size from Walker and welding or clamping those on, or else rework the forward part of your exhaust to use the larger offroad H pipe.
    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

I have a complete mustang h pipe on my car it fits but hangs kinda low. I am going to the exhaust shop some time to have them put a bend in it so it tucks up a little higher. But other than that its good.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
      Big plans

Comment

Talk to Thain, he's had better luck than I have getting a Mustang pipe tucked up nicely. I do now suspect that in a couple of cases, my difficulties may have been related to aging motor mounts ....

Comment

they do sit a little crooked and a smidge low, though its not too terrible. Stick a jack under the pipe and shove it up where it needs to go before making the collector bolts fully tight. A fully custom exhaust would sit in there better, but not everyone has time or money for that. Off the shelf parts are sometimes the best available option.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
            they do sit a little crooked and a smidge low, though its not too terrible.
            That is exactly how I would describe it one my car. And I am using all factory Mustang pieces.
            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
            my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Besides hanging low, are there any other issues such as driveline clearence or undercar lines with the off roads?

2011 Grand Marquis LS Ultimate Edition
              Dual Exhaust w/ AP XLerator mufflers and 3 1/2" tips, Eibach 1" rear sway bar, Pioneer Head unit and speakers, 17X8 Drag DR-72 wheels

RIP 1984 2Dr Crown Vic "The Millennium Falcon"
              Carbed 5.0 HO w/nitrous , Performer RPM intake, GT40P heads, E303 cam, FRP Shorties, FRP 9mm plug wires, Off-Road H-pipe, Magnaflow round mufflers, 2000 rpm stall
              NA-15.78@91.21, 80hp shot-14.48@96.21

Comment

i have no problems.....neither the vic or the towny rub, or most of the cars i've built.......yucatech sustained minor damage to his x pipe, but i thing he was off roading at the time, i found mud and grass and sticks under his car lol

does the car have decent exhaust now or just stock?

i do it this way cause it's affordable, and it's all off the shelf parts......i used to work at a meineke shop in the 90's and i'm appaled by the prices these exhaust shops want to charge......i'm trying to be fair up here, right now i'm doing duals for mrmarquis for 300 labor plus the price of parts......wish i had a bender.....somebody wanna donate 5 grand so i can get one lol

i'll give you two ways to do it

one
                headers, mustang h pipe, flowtech flowtubes (mandrel bent) for a fox mustang, pr of 2.5" extension pipes, 2.5" ofset ofset mufflers, two swinger hangers, pr of dynomax impala ss tailpipes (2.5" mandrel bent) pr of 2.5" extension pipes, pr of 2.5" turndowns, 2 swinger hangers

two
                headers and mustang h pipe, walker 43281 midpipes, pr of midpipe flanges for a fox mustang, 2.25" ofset ofset mufflers, pr of swinger hangers, scraps of pipe to reduce 2.25" to 2". pr of stock 2" tails, one swinger hanger, one stock hanger

hope that helps and good luck mang!

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Have you tried the Maremont 339221 midpipes yet, Scott? 2.5", and I found mine worked great except for the flange bolt-hole spacing requiring modification.

Comment

got a pr here for the cherry bomb.......forgot u mentioned the maremont ones were gonna be 2.5" but they were cheaper than walker and came with flanges......i have 2" glasspacks, so i'm going to cut the end off the inlet and weld the 2.5" midpipes to the glasspack body......when i worked at meineke the glasspacks came without necks so you could use them with whatever sized pipe you want

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

Comment

As far as condition my existing exhaust is in good shape. its stock 2"manifold flanges going through a cat on each side. the original y was removed and an H pipe 2.25 inch was bolted in place and then glass packs and 2.25 tail pipes to the end. I probably will get the mustang off road h pipe installed and then glasspacks or maybe flow masters after. Was thinking about just having 45 degree pipes after the mufflers with the exhaust exiting before the rear wheels to the side. Want to go 2.5" all the way to take advantage of the headers and better flowing heads. But may have everything in front of the h pipe replaced with the proper flanges for the headers and 2.5" till i can afford 2.5" all the way. I need to get prices first.

Dual Exhaust w/ AP XLerator mufflers and 3 1/2" tips, Eibach 1" rear sway bar, Pioneer Head unit and speakers, 17X8 Drag DR-72 wheels

Carbed 5.0 HO w/nitrous , Performer RPM intake, GT40P heads, E303 cam, FRP Shorties, FRP 9mm plug wires, Off-Road H-pipe, Magnaflow round mufflers, 2000 rpm stall

Comment

dynomax impy ss tails are 37 ea
                        flowtech midpipes are 40 pr

Comment

With a NOS Mustang H pipe the only problem I had was the p.side upper cat was rubbing the transmission cooler lines. Had to mash in the heat shield to ensure nothing was touching.
                          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Ok have decided in the interest of money and time to have the stock 2" panther flange cut off and a flange that will bolt to the shorty header connection installed. Is the flange size I need 2.5"? Later I will have the entire exhaust replaced with 2.5".

Comment

I'd probably look for 2.25" ball flanges if I were to do that.

From an old post of mine made back when I was even more ignorant than now and actually thought I knew something:

Walker 41724 - 2"
                              Walker 41725 - 2.25"
                              Walker 41726 - 2.5"

I got the 2" and 2.5" PNs out of the Walker exhaust master catalog, and extrapolated the 2.25" PN before verifying it by looking it up on NapaOnline.com.

Comment

Working...
                              X