1989 Lincoln Town Car Won't Run Self Test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1989 Lincoln Town Car Won't Run Self Test

Hi guys. My uncle just bought an '89 Town Car for $2000. The car is fucking beautiful, very well maintained. I thought I'd see what kind of codes if any are in the system. So I grounded the self test wire, with the engine off, and it ran the KOEO self test. Codes 34, and 67. If I start the car, and wait for it to begin the KOER test, it will open the IAC (from what I can hear), and then the idle will die down. The check engine light does not flash the computer identification code (Light blinks 1/2 the number of cylinders). And on one occasion, the engine stalled when trying to enter the self test. Any ideas guys?

And before someone says that the check engine light won't flash codes, let me clarify that this car has the yellow check engine light. Thanks in advance,
    ~John

Check the voltage at the battery with the motor running. If the alternator isn't charging properly, it won't go into self test mode.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
      Check the voltage at the battery with the motor running. If the alternator isn't charging properly, it won't go into self test mode.
      Alternator is charging properly. Here's something that I found out. I ran a self test on Vicky today. I ran the KOEO in Reverse. It gave a code 67. I put the selector in neutral, and started the car, put the car back in reverse, it raised the idle, and then it stopped, no flashing engine light or anything. So I think the computer thinks it may have an open Neutral Safety switch, but that can't be the case since the car does start and run. So my thought is there is an open between the pcm and the neutral safety switch.

Comment

that could be. I've never tried running a self test in anything but park.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
        X