Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

location of several things/ general maintenance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

location of several things/ general maintenance?

Just to pamper my relatively-new car, there are several things that seem to have come up repeatedly as a topic of general maintenance.

I'm still a noob, and sadly the chilton/haynes manuals don't always show photos of MY car (usually a more recent crown vic), and, only up-close photos that never put the part in context. Just for example, when I did my shocks last month, all I knew was that they were near the spring, which would be near the wheel... took me half an hour to figure out where they were bolted, to begin to unbolt them; didn't help that they were covered in black grease and blended right in with everything else!

So anyway:
    where, in detail, is the PCV valve? Is the PCV element the same as the filter, that is supposed to be down in the hose and extractable with a woodscrew? Or is the element a separate part?
    Someone said it was behind the intake manifold... is that the cast iron piece on the very top of the engine?

Where is the O2 sensor? Salvo said I have just one. Something about the exhaust manifold.. what does that look like/ where is it? Do I get to it from the top, or from under the car?
    Given that the car is 20 years old with 112,000 miles; seems a wise thing to just take care of, and know that it'll be good for quite some miles to come.

Where is the TV bushing? Where is/ what is the throttle body and what does it look like? Neither salvo nor autozone even knew what the throttle valve bushing WAS, might just have to go to the ford dealership...?
    The transmission was rebuilt before I bought the car (had receipts to prove it), would they have already redone the tv bushing with a brass one when the transmission was reinstalled, or not necessarily...?

Since I lost a little bit of fluid replacing the radiator, and just because I'll need to know at some point anyway: where do I refill the transmission fluid? Does it take type F (like the power steering pump: in which case I have some extra), or another kind of transmission fluid? And-- I did find the transmission fluid dipstick. It was hard to tell where the line was, it wasn't black like the oil. Do I need to read it while it's hot?

Hmm, any other maintenance to know about? Do I need to change the axle fluid in the pumpkin, ever? How often do I do transmission fluid? Other maintenance? I've now done coolant, plugs & wires, oil; presumably the transmission was done when it was rebuilt, about 4000 miles ago. Looks very clean too, so I don't doubt that it was done.

Anything else.. oh! how do I check the AC fluid? And, people have asked in other posts about engine timing: as long as I got the cap on correctly and the wires matched up, the timing will be perfect? It's controlled by computer, right? And if I didn't get the cap on correctly or mixed up a wire, I'd KNOW it?
    ...or is spark plug/ engine timing one of those things that needs to be tuned up a bit more subtly?

thanks!!
    -Bernard

Well I'll try to answer a few questions until the more experienced guys step in.

PCV is located on the back of the lower intake below the big metal upper intake (with the 5.0 plate on it) twards the right of the lower if your looking at it dead on from the front.

you can get the TV bushing from ford, its obsolete i think but if you bug the parts guys they can find it. (usually they just dont want to be bothered)

Trans fluid is replaced through the dipstick. It is NOT Type F!!!! Its Mercon III.

Check it when the car is hot idling in park. (you could shift through all the gears first, i just do it, maybe it makes a difference?)

The trans is like a 30-40k deal, but dont quote me on that. (or if its looking brown/smells burnt)

Also it should be a healthy PINK color. Not black, that'd be really bad haha.

The differential oil doesn't need to be changed very often, how many miles on your car? It couldn't hurt anything though.

For the A/C you'd need a special gauge thats made for the purpose, ask around.

George
    1986 Mercury Grand Marquis "5.0" (160,000)

2011 Ford Crown Victoria "4.6" (54,000)

2015 Jeep Wrangler JK Willys "3.6" (48,000)

Comment

the TV bushing is located under the throttle body on the bracket that the throttle cable is attached to, just on the opposite end. The bushing is the plastic POS (or if it's been replaced, brass awesomeness with a clip) that holds the TV cable in place.

more info on the TV bushing crap here: http://www.lincolnsonline.com/tech/00052.html

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I might suggest purchasing a Ford official shop manual. It will give you much more specific details about your car since they're basically year by year, and model by model.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

should i use anything in particular to replace the pcv valve hose? the one running to the intake.

i know exactly where the damn thing is, i've got an extra lower intake, i've seen a shitload of pictures, i just don't know how the hell you can reach the thing with the plenum on.
          sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Originally posted by 1990LTD View Post
            i just don't know how the hell you can reach the thing with the plenum on.
            Very carefully.
            2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

it's actually within the realm of possibility? i'll have to give it a go - it just doesn't look like you can
              sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

skinny hands/arms help.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

also;

What's on the left looks like the valve I see being replaced in an article on linconsonline.com. Why is the valve I've got different?

sigpic

Comment

the one on the left...

Originally posted by 1990LTD View Post
                    also;

What's on the left looks like the valve I see being replaced in an article on linconsonline.com. Why is the valve I've got different?

the one on the left is the original eqipment. the one on the right is after-market. don't worry if you buy after-market, that's what you'll get--the one with the elbow on it. the one with the elbow on it usually has 2 ports...you need to make sure that you break off the little plug and plug it into the little port. actually this 90 degree elbow is a little better set up in my mind because the original hose is molded 90 degrees. when you replace the hose, which i'm sure you'll have to, if you don't feel you have to--do it anyway!, it will go straight towards the pcv port on the upper intake, thus not having to bend 90.

i just got through removing the upper intake on my car just to change the stupid hose. now that i have done this, i realize that it can be done without removal of the intake. you just have to weasel a skinny-assed arm with a little hand, preferrably a 10 yr old nephew, thru the passenger side, slightly under the top of the upper intake. trust me, this can be done.
                    My wife and I.sigpic

Comment

thanks brother!
                      sigpic

Comment

what year is your car?

Originally posted by BerniniCaCO3 View Post
                        Just to pamper my relatively-new car, there are several things that seem to have come up repeatedly as a topic of general maintenance.

I'm still a noob, and sadly the chilton/haynes manuals don't always show photos of MY car (usually a more recent crown vic), and, only up-close photos that never put the part in context. Just for example, when I did my shocks last month, all I knew was that they were near the spring, which would be near the wheel... took me half an hour to figure out where they were bolted, to begin to unbolt them; didn't help that they were covered in black grease and blended right in with everything else!

So anyway:
                        where, in detail, is the PCV valve? Is the PCV element the same as the filter, that is supposed to be down in the hose and extractable with a woodscrew? Or is the element a separate part?
                        Someone said it was behind the intake manifold... is that the cast iron piece on the very top of the engine?

Where is the O2 sensor? Salvo said I have just one. Something about the exhaust manifold.. what does that look like/ where is it? Do I get to it from the top, or from under the car?
                        Given that the car is 20 years old with 112,000 miles; seems a wise thing to just take care of, and know that it'll be good for quite some miles to come.

Where is the TV bushing? Where is/ what is the throttle body and what does it look like? Neither salvo nor autozone even knew what the throttle valve bushing WAS, might just have to go to the ford dealership...?
                        The transmission was rebuilt before I bought the car (had receipts to prove it), would they have already redone the tv bushing with a brass one when the transmission was reinstalled, or not necessarily...?

Since I lost a little bit of fluid replacing the radiator, and just because I'll need to know at some point anyway: where do I refill the transmission fluid? Does it take type F (like the power steering pump: in which case I have some extra), or another kind of transmission fluid? And-- I did find the transmission fluid dipstick. It was hard to tell where the line was, it wasn't black like the oil. Do I need to read it while it's hot?

Hmm, any other maintenance to know about? Do I need to change the axle fluid in the pumpkin, ever? How often do I do transmission fluid? Other maintenance? I've now done coolant, plugs & wires, oil; presumably the transmission was done when it was rebuilt, about 4000 miles ago. Looks very clean too, so I don't doubt that it was done.

Anything else.. oh! how do I check the AC fluid? And, people have asked in other posts about engine timing: as long as I got the cap on correctly and the wires matched up, the timing will be perfect? It's controlled by computer, right? And if I didn't get the cap on correctly or mixed up a wire, I'd KNOW it?
                        ...or is spark plug/ engine timing one of those things that needs to be tuned up a bit more subtly?

thanks!!
                        -Bernard
                        bernard
                        we need to know what year your car is. i don't know if you've written it in here anywhere, but i've read in a previous post that you've changed your valve cover gaskets. obviously you didn't have to remove the upper intake to do this or you would have seen your pcv valve. i'm assuming you have an older vehicle than the one with the pcv valve behind the upper intake. if that's the case, it's real easy. your pcv valve will be in the valve cover i think. heres a pic of an upper intake if you have this on your car then its the pain in the ass one.
                        Attached Files
                        My wife and I.sigpic

Comment

pcv filter

if you do if this pain in the dick set up, here's a pic of what your pcv filter will look like underneath the pcv valve.
                          it don't look like this new, they are silvery new. but that brown crap down there is what you screw the screw into and pull out. if you are gonna do this i suggest you buy the filter first so you have a good idea what it looks like.
                          now my car didn't have one in it. guess some idiot didn't want to put a new one in it. so if you can stick your finger in this hole, up to your knuckle, chances are you don't have it in there. just put the new one in.
                          Attached Files
                          My wife and I.sigpic

Comment

better pic of pcv location

now i'm not even sure if this is a 5.0 in fact i don't know what kind of engine it is. but this is exactly where the pcv valve is on my 91 gm. it's the black thing right in the middle between those 2 arrows. the hose is pretty easy to change also, trace it by hand it should connect to the back of the upper intake underneath.
                            Attached Files
                            My wife and I.sigpic

Comment

I did indeed see, and replace, the PCV valve when I did the valve covers That was over a week ago now. Noticed some extra power after I did so; the valve and filter were original!
                              It's a 1990 grand marq.

I was also puzzled by the different shape to the aftermarket replacement, I just bent the hose and made it work. Probably should have replaced the hose, but I'm not removing the intake manifold again just for that.

Comment

Working...
                              X