Car stalling out more after IAC change?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car stalling out more after IAC change?

I went yesterday and changed the IAC. Car stalls out more now when coming to a stop. Have to keep my foot on the gas when stopping at a light or stop sign to keep the car from stalling on me. Any ideas what I need to change or take a look at next? Also,if I have to turn the steering wheel all the way,like when backing up,car dies too. Going to tune this thing up next. Thanks for the info. John

make sure the contacts for the IAC's wires are not mangled and making good contact. Not sure how to test to see if the IAC is actually good or not or whether the signals going to it are good or not though. Check to make sure the gasket is sealed good. A leak there can screw up all kinds of stuff. Also, check any nearby vacuum lines to make sure they're not broken or disconnected.

Also, what car is this?

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

did you change it or clean it?

is the gasket new? the gasket on our IAC valves looks -almost- symmetrical, very easy to put on the wrong way. like suggested, check your connections for the wiring.

for the hell of it, pull the valve off again to make sure the mating surfaces are good and reinstall it. doesn't take too long and it'll eliminate that as a possibility
      sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Picked up a brand new one and changed it. The car is a 1986 Mercury Grand Marquis
        Last edited by jmy2469; 08-08-2010, 04:25 PM.

Comment

Let me ask you this,is there only 1 way that the connector goes on? Could it be possible that I have that on the wrong way? This is all new to me. Figured I would try doing this myself. Thanks for the help

Comment

could be a bad iac......i've gotten quite a few brand new dead iac's....one the other week

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
            2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
            1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
            1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
            2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
            1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Ugh! Did not even think of that. I had a friend of mine put it on. I do not have any tools of my own. He likes doing all of the car stuff. If I could get the stalling issue taken care of,the car runs fantastic. I do still have the old one that I took off.

Comment

DIY job. Just takes a 5/16" wrench IIRC.
                2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

uh .....try adjusting the throttle screw, i had to adjust mine, my car now idles somewhere in the area of 850 rpm or so, i backed mine off then turned it up just a a notch. coudl be the issuem but i wouldnt mess with the scew unless you know what your doing though.
                  89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                    DIY job. Just takes a 5/16" wrench IIRC.
                    funny mine was 10mm
                    89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

:shrugs: It's been a few years since I saw one.
                      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

I am going to go out in a few minutes and check this out,tighten everything down and make sure things are hooked up right. I'l let you know how it goes. Thanks for the help

Comment

Ok, just went out there and took a look at the iac. Gasket is not lined up right, this is most likely the problem,right? The bottom bolt is such a pain in the ass to get at. What can I do to make sure that the gasket does not move when putting this back on?

Comment

thread the bolts through the IAC and put the gasket on the IAC over the bolts and then put the whole works on the throttle body. The bolts will keep the gasket from doing any weird moving.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                            Originally posted by gadget73
                            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                            Originally posted by dmccaig
                            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

That is what my friend Dave did. It just looks like the gasket by the upper bolt is sticking out a little. It should not be sticking out anywhere,right?

Comment

Working...
                              X