overfilling fluids?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

overfilling fluids?

Always wondered... there are little marks not to overfill your engine oil, transmission fluid, power steering, or coolant.

More is better, right? Beyond being wasteful, if you're using a quarter quart more than you strictly needed to use, is there any HARM done by filling the oil past the hatched, full area; or any other fluid?

I suppose, full to the very top of the dipstick, and when it gets hot it will spill out and start smoking unpleasantly. But that's the worst I can imagine... Curious if there are however other side effects.

There is no point in doing it. Besides, when steering fluid gets hot it expands, so if you overfill it, it will most likely overflow, and spray the engine bay with crap. More isn't always better. Like having crabs or an extra nipple.
    Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
    Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the engine oil level have to do with the crank flinging the oil up on the underside of the pistons and cylinders, and if it's too full it won't fling right? I think there was another reason too, but I can't remember.
      I'm curious about the reason for the ATF level myself.
      "Beasty Cruiser" '87 Grand Marquis LS 2-Door - Too much damage took its toll. Transmission blew, now a parts car.

Comment

ATF also expands (just like power steering fluid, especially if you use ATF as power steering fluid which some people do) and it and gush out of the dipstick tube. Plus foaming can occur.
        Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
        Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BerniniCaCO3 View Post
          Always wondered... there are little marks not to overfill your engine oil, transmission fluid, power steering, or coolant.

More is better, right? Beyond being wasteful, if you're using a quarter quart more than you strictly needed to use, is there any HARM done by filling the oil past the hatched, full area; or any other fluid?

I suppose, full to the very top of the dipstick, and when it gets hot it will spill out and start smoking unpleasantly. But that's the worst I can imagine... Curious if there are however other side effects.

transmission fluid = death

power steering fluid = red spraying death

engine oil - read around here about 5.0 dipsticks reading incorrectly. you put exactly 5 quarts in at your next oil change, let your car sit long enough for the oil to drain back to the sump, then check your dipstick (all on flat ground btw), that is your full mark.

foaming/frothing can happen when the engine oil level is too high, as well. you don't want that.

granted, there IS a coolant overflow reservoir, but it's there because coolant expands
          Last edited by 1990LTD; 08-23-2010, 03:51 PM.
          sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

this foaming they are talking about is calles aeration when this happens the fluids become more compressible and this is a big nono in hydraulic systems. trust me just fill to the recommended levels if you put a half quart in i wouldne worry too much, but if you ever see bubbles...well tell him im gonna kick his ass.
            My wife and I.sigpic

Comment

very bad in transmissions (especially manual/sealed types). My dad knows a guy that filled a trans through the linkage cover on top (manual trans) instead of the fill hole in the side (think 60s-70s type cars). He said it drove great for about 15 minutes before the trans exploded. There was no air gap to absorb the pressure from the expanding trans fluid.

Overfilling is the fast way to leaks and other issues.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

To much oil will rob power also. Technically you only need enough oil to keep the pickup covered

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                Big plans

Comment

too much fluid in almost any of the systems will cause leaks.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                  160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                  waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Trans will most likely spit it out the dipstick or the vent on the top of the trans. Powersteering systems like to shoot it out through the cap. The engine doesn't really like more oil than it needs. You can actually hydrolock an engine with too much oil.

Comment

foaming is very bad. Not only is it compressable, air is a miserable lubricant and cooling fluid when its inside a transmission designed to be cooled and lubed with a liquid.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
                        very bad in transmissions (especially manual/sealed types). My dad knows a guy that filled a trans through the linkage cover on top (manual trans) instead of the fill hole in the side (think 60s-70s type cars). He said it drove great for about 15 minutes before the trans exploded. There was no air gap to absorb the pressure from the expanding trans fluid.

Overfilling is the fast way to leaks and other issues.
                        It is unpossible to make a gear box "explode" by over filling it... You will however push fluid out of the seals... Whether you are dealing with an automatic or standard transmission you will fail your seals by overfilling it. Aerated ATF can cause your tranny to build heat and fail also...

Comment

yeah I can't imagine a trans case breaking. I can picture a seal blowing and puking fluid all over, but not a metal case. Don't most manual transmissions have some sort of an air vent like rear axles do anyway?
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                            yeah I can't imagine a trans case breaking. I can picture a seal blowing and puking fluid all over, but not a metal case. Don't most manual transmissions have some sort of an air vent like rear axles do anyway?
                            Yes.. There is always a vent in a standard gearbox even if it is just a hole in the top cover like the old Ford T&C "toploader" 4-speeds.

Comment

I think I'll agree: path of least resistance and all that. Gaskets would leak and the dipstick would lift up long before metal tore apart!

But anyway, point taken: It isn't actually just an inconsequential marker, I won't overfill my fluids!

Comment

Working...
                              X