No announcement yet.

85 CFI stumble just off idle, HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would suspect they would be different, EFI VS CFI..

Please check this thread for the trans.

2000 Grand Marquis LS
    2000 F150 XLT 6 inches of lift.
    1987 Bill Blass Mark VII - Sold
    1985 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park- SOLD. to a little old lady
    Mercury Owners Group member
    Save The Whales, Restore an Old Station Wagon!!

Comment

Codes are 32 and 34. I checked the solenoids which switch and vent vacuum to the egr. The all click when 12 volt is applied. In run mode 1 side of the contacts is 12 volt. Are they all switched by the eec? If so it lieves me with wiring and the eec.
      Click on picture to see the video!

My other cars: 1986 Mustang GT 1967 Ford Fairlane 500, 2dr hrtp under construction

Comment

Scott worked on a CFI motor that gave him fits. Turns out it was bad (almost new) plug wires.

Let me find that thread.
        2000 Grand Marquis LS

Comment

34 is egr valve not closing fully, 32 is over-closed. Since its basically impossible to have both at the same time, either that sensor is bad/wrong, or you're getting old stored codes. Is this the engine running test, or the engine not running test?
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
            34 is egr valve not closing fully, 32 is over-closed. Since its basically impossible to have both at the same time, either that sensor is bad/wrong, or you're getting old stored codes. Is this the engine running test, or the engine not running test?
            IF it's the wrong one that could I happen I would think...
            2000 Grand Marquis LS

Comment

Codes by engine running with new sensor (for a 85 CFI).

I Vref is somewhat low (can't remember exactly but like 4.7 Volt, also ground seems give some voltage.... going to check my grounds.

Keep you posted.

groetjes,

Adam

My other cars: 1986 Mustang GT 1967 Ford Fairlane 500, 2dr hrtp under construction

Comment

4.7 is normalish. I dont think mine is quite at 5v either but it seems to work ok.
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by 85MercPark View Post
                  Scott worked on a CFI motor that gave him fits. Turns out it was bad (almost new) plug wires.

Let me find that thread.
                  I have been measuring and looking everywhere. I could not find a thing.

I went back to basics and found a plug wire with a core that was broken at the tip of the connector at the distributor side, it gave a spark there and not at the plug: see picture.

Fixed it: stumble gone!

Thanks for everyones help!

groetjes,

Adam

Comment

Sometimes it's the simple stuff we look at last...
                    2000 Grand Marquis LS

Comment

Cool. CFI is good when its good, but it really demands that everything be right.

Comment

Yea, EFI is much more efficient, but CFI works well for what it is.
                        2000 Grand Marquis LS

Comment

glad you fixed it!

the bad plug wires in my case were only about a month old.......premium quality wires too.....i really liked that brand, but for 48 dollars a set, and i had 2 sets come back, i wont use them anymore
                          what i use now is ford racing 9mm wires.......54 bucks shipped from summit
                          for the poor folk, i've been using the duralast wires from autozone lately......i get them for like 18 bucks

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Glad you fixed it. I can't be the only one who thinks it's cool that there's an 85 CP in the Netherlands! I wonder what the story is behind that car.
                            Originally posted by gadget73
                            There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
                            91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
                            93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
                            Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
                            Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
                            95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

Originally posted by 91waggin View Post
                              Glad you fixed it. I can't be the only one who thinks it's cool that there's an 85 CP in the Netherlands! I wonder what the story is behind that car.
                              The car was owned in the US by a german professor. He returned to germany and took with him the CP. The car was barely used and sat in a shed for years. A neighbor bought the car. He needed money and I bought it last year.

I always loved american cars and like to work on them. I needed a good replacement for my daily and this one came up. It wil get a propane conversion to make it more economical.

I always have american cars, they are very rare overhere, US Fords are not sold by dealers, only by special interest import.

We have a lot of people who for a hobby own an american car.

I now own a 1986 Mustang GT convertible and the CP. I'm looking for a 1969 Mach 1 project....

regards,

Adam

Comment

Originally posted by Deermann View Post
                                It wil get a propane conversion to make it more economical.
                                regards,
                                Adam
                                Please start a new thread if and when you start the conversion...

Interested in seeing that
                                2000 Grand Marquis LS

Comment

Working...
                                X