plenum to hood clearance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

plenum to hood clearance

Do you think I'd have trouble running a 1" spacer? I want to use these CAL customs valve covers but I'm almost positive they won't fit under the intake plenum.

Would there be any issues with the throttle bracket? 87gtvic is running a 1/2" spacer and said it was a bit far.
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Bump for curiosity.
    2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
    2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
    2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
    1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

find the spot you think has the least clearance and put a soft sticky-tack or playdoh type thing on top, and close the hood. Measure how tall the stuff is and that's your approx. clearance.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
      160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
      waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
        Bump for curiosity.
        Haven't got my spacer yet.
        sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Will an extra inch of runner length change anything regarding engine operation? Less power? more? powerband moved?
          Last edited by 1990LTD; 03-08-2011, 01:37 AM.
          sigpic

Comment

theoretically, it will move the RPM band down.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
            160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
            waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Originally posted by 1990LTD View Post
              Do you think I'd have trouble running a 1" spacer?
              Yes... it won't clear.

Been there done that.

Works on a towncar, but that don't help you haha.

Comment

meh, I'll sell it if it doesn't fit and I can't figure something out (plane it down or something)
                sigpic

Comment

meh, I'll sell it if it doesn't fit and I can't figure something out (plane it down or something)

Alright, but I was just trying to save you the trouble of buying it at all.

Comment

I bought it about 4 days ago. Thanks all the same.

I think I read about someone slightly massaging the metal "frame" under the hood to get a 1" spacer to work. Can't remember if they were using the ho or explorer style intake though
                    Last edited by 1990LTD; 03-08-2011, 03:11 AM.
                    sigpic

Comment

I bought it about 4 days ago. Thanks all the same.

I think I read about someone slightly massaging the metal "frame" under the hood to get a 1" spacer to work. Can't remember if they were using the ho or explorer style intake though
                      I believe they sit the same height.

Either way, I wouldn't want to massage anything that could possibly give the hood a bulge. Not that much of a performance gain to it, a little more low end torque, that's about it. the biggest thing the spacers are used for are running taller valve covers.

Comment

Working...
                      X