Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

pressure washer inside coolant passages, or, how else to clean?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pressure washer inside coolant passages, or, how else to clean?

Hi!

Got my engine down to bare casting, all the bearings out, only one stripped oil plug to remove with a screw extractor (sigh... wonder if impacts might have prevented this).

Anyway.

Pretty rusty in there; nice thick red rust caked onto the outside of the cylinder castings.
    I don't think a 2nd trip to the steamer will actually get that out of there.
    I'm wondering if it's a safe and advisable and effective tactic to take the pressure washer, point it inside the freeze plug holes and inside the oil passage holes, and blast away liberally?

Or if there's another way to be sure you've gotten the internals cleaned nicely?

Hot tank the shit out of it. And if that don't work, media blasting. Just make sure it's all gone otherwise your clean engine will be short lived.

Comment

Originally posted by BerniniCaCO3 View Post
      Hi!

Got my engine down to bare casting, all the bearings out, only one stripped oil plug to remove with a screw extractor (sigh... wonder if impacts might have prevented this).

Anyway.

Pretty rusty in there; nice thick red rust caked onto the outside of the cylinder castings.
      I don't think a 2nd trip to the steamer will actually get that out of there.
      I'm wondering if it's a safe and advisable and effective tactic to take the pressure washer, point it inside the freeze plug holes and inside the oil passage holes, and blast away liberally?

Or if there's another way to be sure you've gotten the internals cleaned nicely?
      Chemical Hot tank is the proper way to get all the internal passages clean. take it to a local machine shop and have them tank it and install new cam bearings.
      2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
      89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
      88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

Working...
      X