Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LPG conversion for my 1985 Colony Park

Hi,

I'm in the process of converting my 1985 Colony Park to liquid propane gas (LPG).
    It is going to be a dual fuel setup.

The reason I do this is pure economy.

Here are the maths:

Cars older than 25 years aren't being road taxed, there tax-free.

Normally it would be for a 1900 kg car:
    Normal Fuel: €285 (3 months) €1128 (1 year)
    Diesel: €490 (3 months) €1948 (1 year)
    LPG (G3) en natural gas: €424(3 months) €1684 (1 year)
    LPG €513(3 months) €2040 (1 year)

1€ = $1.40

So a younger car (after 1985) this size, normal fuel, would be $133 every month just the tax.
    The same car with LPG $240 every month.

So why use LPG anyway. LPG is €0.65 per litre ($3.50 per gallon). Normal fuel: €1.50 per litre ($8.10 per gallon) (prices march 2011).
    If you drive a lot, you can safe money with LPG.

So if a car is taxfree you can safe a lot of money with LPG!

I requested some quotations and they came up around €1850 ($2590) for the conversion, still a lot of miles to earn it back.
    So I decided to do my own conversion which I will write down here. I think it will cost me around €600 to do it myself ($840). Return of investment: 5000 kilometres (8000 miles), looks like a great deal to me (and a lot of 25+ drivers over here).

Regards,

Adam
    Click on picture to see the video!

My other cars: 1986 Mustang GT 1967 Ford Fairlane 500, 2dr hrtp under construction

This is going to be interesting at the very least. I toyed with the idea of converting a box to run on CNG, but currently don't have the time or resources. I'll be following you build for sure, and best of luck to you!
    Nick
    88 Colony Park LS
    G-pa's old car, but he's cruisin around heaven in his 69 wagon now
    Future plans:Semi HO conversion, or Explorer motor swap, shift kit, PI springs and sway bars, KYB-GR2 shocks

Comment

LPG is compressed propane gas which is a by-product of the distillation of fuels.

LPG is widely distributed in the Netherlands and a lot of other other European countries. It is not as popular as it used to be. Installations for modern cars are very complex and therefore very expensive.
      A basic V8 is ideal for LPG conversion, because of it's simplicity. You lose some power by using LPG (10%), but it can be gained back by advancing your timing and higher compression. Since I'm doing a dual fuel conversion, I lose 10% and perhaps gain back some by a timing manager.

Basically the LPG is contained in a tank in a liquid form and that liquid is vaporized, by the vaporized under the hood by using heat from the cooling system. This is fed to the engine by means of a mixer, basically a plate under the throttle body with a gas hose feeding it.

The is a lot of regulations for installing a LPG system in your car. The installation has to be checked and certified. Working with propane is dangerous when not taking it seriously.

You need:
      a filling point
      a tank and tank-frame
      some hoses and line
      a vaporizer
      a mixer
      electronics to control it.

The tank, it donut shaped tank specially made for fitting at the spare tyre location.

In the foreground the mixer, to the left the vaporizer and right a gas valve.

The llocation for the tank.

I started the conversion last weekend.

Filling point: work in progress

Filling point: inside the car

the result

the outside result

Propane/fuel switch installed.

Regards,

Adam

My other cars: 1986 Mustang GT 1967 Ford Fairlane 500, 2dr hrtp under construction

Comment

Ooooh, this is going to be interesting!
        Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
        Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Quite interesting!

So Deermann, I gather you're Dutch (might add that to your profile) and "€" means Euros?
          2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Cool stuff!
            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
            my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
              "&euro;" means Euros?
              Yes, you pay $1.40 to buy 1 Euro.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                "&euro;" means Euros?
                Yes, you pay $1.40 to buy 1 Euro.

Comment

very interesting.

Is this unit specifically designed for panthers/colony parks or is it a universal unit?

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                  160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                  waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Originally posted by johnunit View Post
                    very interesting.

Is this unit specifically designed for panthers/colony parks or is it a universal unit?
                    No, they are not specifically designed, but it will have to match your car. A vaporizer has a certain capacity. This one up to 200 bhp. The tank you can pick out of hundreds of shapes and sizes.

More modern systems (G3) are car and engine specific. They are closed loop systems.

There are several manufactures of tanks (mostly from Poland) and electronics and vaporizers (more complex parts) are from Holland, Italy and the US. A very well known system is Impco, which is made in the USA. They are used alot overhere, they can feed some serious horsepower. They even make double 4 barrel setups.

Comment

So what's left before this can run on LPG?
                      Last edited by 86VickyLX; 03-30-2011, 04:29 PM.

Comment

This is neat!

How long are the tanks certified for?
                        **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                        **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                        **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                        **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                          So what's left before this can run on LPG?

Comment

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
                            This is neat!

How long are the tanks certified for?
                            It is checked with every safety checkup every year. Also CO must be lower then 1,5%.

It will basically last forever.

Comment

Doesn't look too difficult. The different language made me think the names of the parts were made up.

Comment

Working...
                              X