No announcement yet.

302 cfi average mpg?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Driving style can have a major effect. Terain can also be a cause its all up and down hills around here unlike flat Michigan or Ohio
    Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Originally posted by Leo View Post
      could a bad tps cause poor fuel milage?!
      No. It just makes it surge really, REALLY bad off idle. The Spacer? Your car has the TV rod, not a Tv cable, and there's just not enough adjustment in the rod to lift the throttle body up an inch. Guess how I know! If you convert your tranny to the TV cable with these parts
      http://www.summitracing.com/parts/LOK-KD2AODHT/
      http://www.summitracing.com/parts/LOK-SRK-4000/
      you can do it, but $100 is a lot to spend for what you're getting out of it unless you're planning other mods as well.
      '84 Grand Marquis
      Damn thing just keeps runnin'!

"Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important." T.S. Elliot

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP View Post
        I got 20-21 MPG highway (crap mileage around town) in mine when it was CFI, with no EGR hooked up. Of course I drove it like grandpa because it didn't like hard acceleration.
        Funny, opposite for the evil EEC-III CFI that lives on the 83 Grand Marquis twodoor.

Comment

btw, if you are serious about the spacer idea, here's a couple of GMN posts you should read:

-interesting-CFI-performance-tidbit-i-found

-New-CFI-Goodness&highlight=cfi+spacer

The second one is the most instructive. I'm working on modding a Trans-Dapt 2137 spacer and an aluminum cfi manifold to accomplish what the second post talks about. I'll take lots of pictures!
          Last edited by pstrbrc; 07-28-2011, 09:00 PM.
          '84 Grand Marquis
          Damn thing just keeps runnin'!

"Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important." T.S. Elliot

Comment

Hey the cfi injection does have an adjustable pressure regulator... Here is a copy and paste of what I wrote a while back on my readers rides page. I am now currently getting 17.1 average miles per gallon too!

Hey guys- little update for ya... The LTD is running really strong and smooth and I'm pulling down 16.8 miles to the gallon. That's driving on the 405 freeway under heavy traffic conditions from the valley to the westside about 30 miles a day over the hill. I was getting around 14 mpg before for the longest time.

A while back it needed a egr position sensor and I bought a new oxygen sensor and also got the 9mm ford racing wires. The egr sensor solved the driveability issue and it seemed to run better with the new wires. It did run obviously lean though- 5 degrees hotter than before on average and would run out of fuel on the top end and kind of fall on it's face wide open throttle. It wanted more gas! I knew the signs of a lean fuel mixture from working with carbuerators... but it's cfi what can I do? It always seemed run lean looking back at it now the new wires just made it more obvious...

I went online and happy discovered that the cfi fuel pressure regulator is adjustable!!! Adjustable from the factory.... but the factory dosen't want you to adjust it. It has a stanless steel cap blocking the adjusting screw... It took me forever to drill through! and it's pressed in so drilling was really the only option then I screwed a nail into it and pulled it out with pliers. Sure enough underneath was a allen key adjustment screw! Turn the screw clockwise to increase fuel pressure. The screw is a fine thread and the pressure increases slowly and linear.

When I started I had 44pph and now I have turned it up to around 46pph fuel pressure. I know stock is supposed to be 39pph so go figure... Noticeably more power and torque than before and the trip computer dosen't lie... every time I turned the fuel pressure up it liked it and responded with more mpg and smoothness. It dosen't stutter on the freeway anymore or under heavy part throttle. I have been checking my plugs and have turned the fuel pressure very gradually, over a period of a couple months making sure I didn't make it run rich; just dialing it in...

I hope this information can help Grand Marq members with cfi injection!

Comment

I always thought it interesting when there is proof that more fuel can mean better economy. I understand why, a more efficiently running engine will actually need less fuel to make a certain amount of power, but its a concept that is difficult to explain to people sometimes. Of course its only true to a point. Once you go past the point of a properly tuned engine into a rich running motor, the economy will take a dive.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Sooo..timing chain is totally fine. Now the head scratching begins.
                1984 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (Daily Driver)
                1979 Ford LTD-S (Project)

Comment

you replaced it or checked it ? If its that single row thing with the plastic teeth on the cam gear, it really needs to be replaced.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                  X