Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The DREADED KNOCK part 2...HO block installed

Hi Everyone,
    Today I just got my car back. The garage put in an 89 HO 302 as the mechanic says and the owner said it was a 92 HO out of a GT.

Got HEADERS! Got new water pump,oil pump, freeze plugs, rear seal. HOWEVER it is an HO with the intake reversed and using the 12 lb injecters from the LOPO.

I have only driven it 6-7 miles. Half of that side streets and the other half freeway. It seemed I did not notice a 2-3 shift and on the freeway it would not down shift.
    Trans is a 1991 AOD rebuilt 2 years ago and had no problems.
    The trans rebuilder is 15 miles away 2 blocks from my job.
    I was planning on taking it there for the fluid and trans service change anyway.

Any ideas?

Think it safe to drive it the 15 miles on either freeway or side streets?
    90 Colony Park LS with GT 40 heads and intake. HO cam, 65 MM TB, 67 MM EGR spacer. Has a 75 MM Pro Flow mass air sensor. Borla XS mufflers. 3L55. Shift kit, 2000 stall Tq convertor...Bilstein shocks, front and rear sway bars.
    90 Colony Park LS 64,000 miles all original. 3L55 tow package....front and rear sway bars.
    91 Grand Marquis GS....HO motor..Bilstein shocks poly bushings and police swaybars. This one handles the best.
    70 Torino Squire with M code 351 Cleveland 3.00 has Magnaflow mufflers. Hidden headlights and power windows. All original

If you are using the injectors from the lopo and the computer from the lopo with a HO motor, it will not run properly. The HO firing order is different so the cam/computer/injectors need to play well together - Also some wires on the distributor cap are moved around.

When your mechanic reinstalled the motor what did he do to the TV cable and throttle linkage? The TV cable is detrimental to the operation of the AOD transmission.

The throttle linkage NEEDS to be modified for a HO throttle body to fit these cars and function correctly.
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

I wouldn't even bother driving it without the HO computer. check the tv cable and fluid level but you're symptoms are likely to the car running like complete shit.
      Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

We kept the LOPO injectors because they were rebuilt a year ago. Not sure about the HO injectors. It came from a junkyard. It is still the LOPO computer too. Can I buy an HO computer from NAPA or the like corner parts store? Is it a plug out plug in thing to do? The motor seems to drive fine. No misses, Has nice pickup/power.
        Once or twice the trans seemed to shift a little late (1-2 )on the side streets. But I could not feel the 2-3 shift and had no kickdown on the freeway.

How do you modify the throttle linkage? Simple enough for the transmission shop?

Are the heads an improvement in either an 89 or 92 HO verses the 91 LOPO? I know they are but what are the improvements?

HO cam specs anyone?

Thank you again,
        Mike

PS. I don't have time to do any work myself.
        90 Colony Park LS with GT 40 heads and intake. HO cam, 65 MM TB, 67 MM EGR spacer. Has a 75 MM Pro Flow mass air sensor. Borla XS mufflers. 3L55. Shift kit, 2000 stall Tq convertor...Bilstein shocks, front and rear sway bars.
        90 Colony Park LS 64,000 miles all original. 3L55 tow package....front and rear sway bars.
        91 Grand Marquis GS....HO motor..Bilstein shocks poly bushings and police swaybars. This one handles the best.
        70 Torino Squire with M code 351 Cleveland 3.00 has Magnaflow mufflers. Hidden headlights and power windows. All original

Comment

You'd need to get the computer from a junkyard.
          sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

You need a computer from a Lincoln Mark7, that had an H.O. motor in it, an 89-91 is about right.

And I wouldn't drive it until I made sure the TV cable was adjusted correctly, or you'll be paying for tranny too!!

Comment

Your mechanic fails at life.
              1984 CV tudor 351W, 4bbl, 5-speed best time in the 1/8 8.39 at 80 with 1.80 60ft time.
              2006 P71, 1988 Bronco II, 1986 Baby LTD(5.0 & T5 swap in progress), 1976 16' Hobie Cat, 12' AquaFinn
              http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2651997 UPDATED 20100826
              sigpic

Comment

Ok I'm curious as to how its even running let alone driveable. I once accidentally misread my shop manual and had the wires on for the HO firing order on my lopo. I knew what I did as soon as I started the car. What I'm guessing is that 1. Your TV cable needs adjusted and 2. Either that's not really a HO or your mechanic swapped computers and didn't tell you if I'm wrong about that then I guess you have a very odd case of an HO that will run like a lopo. My lopo shook and missed like crazy for the 2 secs. I had it running with the HO firing order
                2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

1983 Lincoln Continental Mark VI, Smog Delete - Summer Cruiser

​

Comment

lets put it this way, the stock injectors you said were 12 (really? thats nuts) and the h.o injectors are like 24. you sure shifting is your only problem? and i dont see why your shifter cable would have been re adjusted unless he took the tranny out too. Just trying to help, not trying to be an @$$ hole.
                  800 dollar car, msd coil, k&N filter, true duel exhaust, 25 mpg

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0418.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	1267847Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0424.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	1267848I appreciate all of the replies. Best way for me to learn. I do not always get a clear answer from the mechanic. The HO intake is in the trunk. Under where the cover plate is.... HO is cast into the intake.The Ho cover is on the LOPO intake apperently. Flipped Someone also wrote in red sharpie mark vII 89 on the side of the HO intake
                    with a 6 digit number possibly the mileage (014278) the motor had when put into the junkyard. The car motor starts and runs fine from a cold start. When I picked the car up yesterday, there was an idle problem for 2 minutes where the motor surged while in park after idleing for 10 minutes. Mechanic said only 1 O2 sensor was on and the computer was searching, hence the lopeiness idle when sitting in park for a few minutes. As soon as he said this the idle went back up to normal and was fine. Taking it back in an hour to have the mechanic adjust the TV cable, then on to the transmission shop for fluid change and service.

Comment

stock injectors are 14#... HO are 19#. If you're running the original 14# injectors... it will run lean and may tend towards pinging and detonation when accelerating.

if the spark wires were re-routed for the proper firing order... it may drive ok, but not really well. 4 of the injectors will be firing at the wrong time. HO motor needs HO firing order, computer, and injectors to run right. The trans is probably having issues because the tv cable isn't adjusted right (as mentioned).

if it's running the lopo computer AND the firing order is swapped to the HO order AND the injectors are re-pinned to fire the HO order as well... then it should run ok with both O2 sensors hooked up.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      Originally posted by gadget73
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Thanks Slymer,
                        I was wrong,it is the the stock injectors at 14 lbs. You and the others were right.

The TV cable was not adjusted correctly. I just spoke with the owner of the garage and said the car was ready, they adjusted the TV cable, shifting fine. I will pick up the car in the morning. I will check if the plug wires were re-routed. Seemed to run fine so I think the wires were routed for the HO. I will ask
                        if the injectors were re-pinned. Does re-pinned mean re-routed?

Should I try to get the HO computer with the car running LOPO injectors? Where is the computer located?Under the seat? or under the hood?

Thank you all for the education.
                        Mike

Comment

Wires are probably HO, but the injector firing order won't be correct, nor will they be the right size. You really need the HO ECM and the 19# injectors for it to run correctly. Do not re-pin the injector harness. Ever. If they dicked with the wiring harness, make them un-dick it. Do not run an HO ECM with anything other than the 19# injectors either, it just won't work.

ECM is under the dash above the brake pedal, but the plug is in the engine compartment. Look next to the brake booster, between the booster and the fender and you'll see the plug. Remove the 10mm bolt in the middle, ECM unplugs, then you pull it out from under the dash. it sort of clips in there, so it can be a PITA to get free.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

On my car, I'm running an HO EEC, 19# injectors from a 4.6L (better spray pattern, plus they're pocked sized), and a non-HO cam'd 289. The car is not MAF either and runs suprisingly smooth. There is a small hesitation, sometimes, down around 1500RPM or so when cracking the throttle, which I attribute more to the larger throttle body and higher than stock airflow than the injector firing order. Problem with the injector firing order is if one side of your engine runs leaner than the other, it trims what it thinks are the 4 injectors associated with that bank. When you flip them around, now the corrections that closed loop is applying are incorrect. That said, the car ran smooth enough to not piss me off and I was getting around 18mpg mixed. In 6 short weeks when I return home, I'll finally be able to swap in my Exploder engine with HO cam in and have the correct firing order so I'll be able to see if that does anything tangible or not.
                            1992 CVLX. 5.0 HO/GT40P/T5/3.73/trak-lok with bolt ons. 02 front CVPI setup, rear HPP setup, CVPI shocks around, F250 radiator, e-fans, and the power of 3G. 15.92@89mph, 2.4 60', 4700' elevation (5500' DA) with 3.08 open rear and the old oil chugging 289. RIP.

Comment

The garage say they adjusted the TV cable. The transmission shop could not get to it. Drove it home last night. Already put about 30-40 miles on it since getting back yesterday morning. The motor seems to pull very strong with the LOPO injectors and LOPO intake. I can only imagine how it would be down shifting. I guess the power difference is from the HO cam and HO heads.

Only problem is the shift points. It will shift 1-2 at 30-35 MPH cold.Warmed up 1-2 is at 25-35; 2-3 shift at 45-55 MPH. My speedometer is OFF at least 10 MPH too. The 1-2 shift feels awesome with a nice kick in the seat of the pants. There is no 3-4 shift, no overdrive and no kickdown. Should be no problem driving freeway speed in 3rd gear right?

The motor came with headers.
                              Was headers a factory option on the Mustang GT or Lincoln Mark 7? With the above mentioned set up any estimate on the current HP/torque?
                              It seems to a lot more than the original LOPO setup alone.

Even though the trans was fine( 2 1/2 years and maybe 20,000 miles ago) right before the engine swap, I wanted to do a trans rebuild in the Spring next year with the wide ratio gear set and higher stall torque converter after having the 3.55L rear put in January. I will have to drive just a few miles this weekend and when I go back to work on Tuesday leave it with the transmission shop next to my job. Should I try to get an HO AOD and have the WR gears added? What differences are in the HO-AOD and the LOPO AOD?

Do you think the shift problem is the ECM unit being the LOPO?
                              Where can I get an HO ECM? Would either a HO Mustang or Mark 7 ECM work the same?

Also need to drop off at the muffler shop. Have a leak where the headers meetup with the Y pipe on one side.
                              Will dual exhaust will lower the low end torque? Currently have single exhaust going into 1 glasspack muffler dumping down under the rear axle.

The engine runs great, no misses, no sputtering, no backfire. Only problem are the shifting issues.
                              Sorry for lots of questions. I know you guys will have the right answers.
                              Thanks everyone,
                              Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X