Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

84,000 mile colony park-- overhauling, what would be on your list?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hah. NJ doesn't do the Notary thing. We just go to the DMV with a title that the seller signed at some point. Its supposed to be signed, dated, and with a sale price and odometer reading, and the title transfer is supposed to happen within 2 weeks. In reality, nobody puts the date or dollar amount on, leaving you as the buyer to put in whatever you want. We pay 7% sales tax on the sale price, and if you don't transfer in 2 weeks theres some penalty. Of course everyone buys their old cars for $100 and they made the purchase just yesterday. Pop on in to the DMV with the title, hands them your monies, and you leave in about 15 minutes with title, registration, and license plates along with a pink card that gives 2 weeks to get it inspected. No safety inspection here anymore, so just a quick trip to get a BS smog check and on your way you go.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

question: the 50.5" drivebelt for teh alternator side is really too tight. What was the size that was slightly larger, that I know someone recommended to me once?
      It has the 100amp alternator, unless, the belt size is the same anyway.

I did unfortunately discover, in pulling the pulley to do the drivebelt, that the water pump is leaking out the front and the bearings are rough (rather than rotating smoothly, it catches every 20-40 degrees). Oh well.

Comment

next belt up I think is 51.2"
        At least that's what I have (for sale right now actually - slightly used - because it's just a dink too long for the stock sizing setup with the 3G swap).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I used a combination of Summit Racing (tells you the belt length and a part number) and Rock Auto (tells you the application of said part number and lots of crossover numbers) to find a weird oddball size belt when I went to an underdrive pulley. I think my smog/ac belt is a BMW M3 belt. Either that or Honda S2000. I just looked around Summit Racing sorting by belt length and type, and when I found a part number in the right size range, I put that part number in Rockauto, noted the application (making sure to know WHICH belt on a given car it was) and then walked into the local parts store and got my "accessory belt for a 2002 Honda S2000"

This is all assuming you don't have a parts store/parts guy good enough that you can ask for a belt by action length.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
          160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
          waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

hah; I think I asked to be let into the back, and just read the right code. I think it's something like 6050505, which means 50.5" circumference, .5" wide. 60 I don't know what it means.
            So I'd want a 6051505, and just to in the back and find it.

Definitely true; there's a lot the database doesn't cover, and it's not like autozone retail pays well enough to attract committed talent and old-timers. Napa is darn good though for service.

Slymer, I'll buy your belt, but not for much, and only if you can ship it very very soon This car is leaving my care on January 3rd.

Comment

the 60 is actually 6 for 6 rib. There are insanely long belts that are over 100 inches.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
              X